• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Recovery Software

mfatty500

Like the title says, I need a recommendation for recovery software. I was backing up my files on the 1st. like I always do, and the unthinkable happened, somehow it deleted my files and did not put them in the recycle bin, for whatever reason, ( I just think there was to much to go to the recycle bin) is that possible? I'm using windows 8.1 if that matters.

ikarasu

Getdataback is good.

This is why its best to have multiple backups. For $15 canadian a month you can upload 1 TB (They say 1 TB, but its really unlimited) data to google. I encrypt everything and upload everything... I have over 20 TB of artwork / production files uploaded, as well as snapshats every 3 months of the whole drive, just incase... to multiple online vendors, as well as a NAS. Losing everything would suck... It's very cheap insurance to backup to at least one cloud provider!

Kristian Matz

Like the title says, I need a recommendation for recovery software. I was backing up my files on the 1st. like I always do, and the unthinkable happened, somehow it deleted my files and did not put them in the recycle bin, for whatever reason, ( I just think there was to much to go to the recycle bin) is that possible? I'm using windows 8.1 if that matters.

We keep all of our work files on a NAS drive. The local users do not store any files on their local computers. The NAS drive has mirrored hard drives for redundancy. The NAS is set to back up to the cloud on a continuous basis, so within minutes of a file being created it is now backed up in the cloud. We also have it set to maintain all versions of a file so if we overwrite something the old version is also available. I currently have about 185 GB (249680 files) backed up in the cloud. If I need a file, it's easy to just download it.

Another advantage of this is when a computer needs to be replaced there are no user files to worry about. Just install the software and go.

mfatty500

I should say that I didn't lose everything thing I've done, just from the last month for the most part. I have copies on two external hard drives

WildWestDesigns

Another advantage of this is when a computer needs to be replaced there are no user files to worry about. Just install the software and go.

The concerning thing is that with that type of constant backing up if some malware (and I'm very general when I talk about malware) gets in and you have backups that quick, it can very well affect backups as well.

I personally wouldn't have a NAS (and I don't) with that quick of a backing up schema. Mainly because it means a perpetual online connection (vector for bad things to happen) with a redundant back up that's that quick, good chance (depending on what that malware is) that it could affect that backups as well. All my NAS backups (while they do for time use the WAN) are just long enough for the back up and I do have scripts that very day/time as well.

MikePro

runtime.org is great, plus you can download their software as a trial to see if recovery is even possible...and then pay the $$$ to be allowed access to write the files to a new drive.

....saved my ass after my RAID setup somehow was corrupted a few years back, and all data recovery shops I could contact within 100miles were at a loss.

ikarasu

The concerning thing is that with that type of constant backing up if some malware (and I'm very general when I talk about malware) gets in and you have backups that quick, it can very well affect backups as well.

I personally wouldn't have a NAS (and I don't) with that quick of a backing up schema. Mainly because it means a perpetual online connection (vector for bad things to happen) with a redundant back up that's that quick, good chance (depending on what that malware is) that it could affect that backups as well. All my NAS backups (while they do for time use the WAN) are just long enough for the back up and I do have scripts that very day/time as well.

I have instant backup. But it's not my only backup.

I admit I do raid 0, which scares some people But raid 5 takes too long to recover from, and I do similiar to raid 1.. just with another device.

I have 2x 8 TB on a Nas, and everyone stores their files there. The moment a file gets saved... It gets uploaded to Google drive, and blackblaze(both encrypted) , as well as to my home from server via FTP with write, but not rewrite access. So they have to hack my PC, our work server, get the password to two clouds... And break in and destroy our external.

Ontop of that... I have a snapshot of all previous years files saved in multiple places, and the current year gets snapshotted every 2 weeks.... All saved to the usual places as well as an external, offline drive every month. So if someone does manage to delete or corrupt everything on both nas, ftp and 2 clouds... I just recover the snapshot and lose at most 2 weeks of data.

I feel like it's overkill. But our IT company wanted $200 per TB for backup... We were paying $600 per month, and they wanted to increase it to $800. Once I found that out... I told them how ridiculous It is considering they just off-site backup to a local data center.

Now we pay $15 for gdrive per month... Blackblaze is $10 I think? I have 100+TB at home so I just do that for free. It cost me $1500 to buy 2 really decent Nas with 16 TB each. So it took two months to break even... And now we're saving $775 per month, and aside from the external drive every month... Everything is automated. I login once in awhile just to make sure everything's working ok, but that's it.

There's better, more fool proof ways. But realistically... Were a sign shop. Odds of anyone trying to access our data are slim to none... And the protections in place are more than enough security level wise for what we do.

I think realtime.backup is great... Providing you have contingency plans.

netsol

ontrack easy recovery is one of the best

i see someone mentioned swapping the pc board on the bottoof the drive.
the board must be sn exact firmware match, IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT THIS MEANS DON''T DO IT

you need to understand the difference between physical damage to a drive (platter or hesd damage) or electronic failure.

understand, there are companies with a very high sucess rate for recovery, but they need to be the first ones working on the drive. we were in the business 15 yrs ago. you have to ask what happens if recovery is impossible. does hour business survive loss of your data?

if your data is critical to you & failure is unthinkable, send the drive to someone like eco data recovery in florida. over the years they have never failed us.

WildWestDesigns

I have instant backup. But it's not my only backup.

I admit I do raid 0, which scares some people But raid 5 takes too long to recover from, and I do similiar to raid 1.. just with another device.

I have 2x 8 TB on a Nas, and everyone stores their files there. The moment a file gets saved... It gets uploaded to Google drive, and blackblaze(both encrypted) , as well as to my home from server via FTP with write, but not rewrite access. So they have to hack my PC, our work server, get the password to two clouds... And break in and destroy our external.

I think people would be surprised about what could be done.

There was a deal just this year where a cloud backup provider had issues, malware was sent to their clients via the transfer software and the hose computers were then encrypted. It's surprising what vectors are used. And, malware can be attached to files that aren't on the host machine itself, as long as the host machine "sees" where those files are. For instance, say mapped drives to a NAS.

If running instantaneous backups, all that one has to do is infect the main spot (especially if running Windows how most people run Windows, I'm not saying that you specifically do, I'm speaking generally here) and it's propagated from there.

But realistically... Were a sign shop. Odds of anyone trying to access our data are slim to none... And the protections in place are more than enough security level wise for what we do.

I might be reading this wrong, but I take it as "we are a sign shop and there are bigger fish in the sea" type of thing. If the information has value to somebody, it has value for people to get at it. Sometimes it's just about what people are willing to pay, even if the nature of the information isn't all that "earth shattering".

I think realtime.backup is great... Providing you have contingency plans.

Yes, but how many do? That's the question. There are a lot of people that think just one backup is sufficient.