• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

red blade holder vs. blue blade holder

Flame

Does anyone know the difference between the Graphtec blue blade holder and the red blade holder? If they both can take 45 and 60 degree blades, and both fit the same machine, why are there different blade holders?

This is baffling me...

trakers

What amazes me even more is the gaul to charge $125 for a little piece of plastic. Just unreal!

I remember after I got my cutter I thought WTH, I'll get an extra blade holder as a backup. Surprise Kemosabe!! I about fainted.

iSign

the shaft on the blades more suitable for sandblast mask are a larger diameter, and fit in the red holder.

Flame

But max is 60 degrees, correct? Bear with me here, but what's so much better about a thicker 60 degree blade than a thinner 60 degree blade?

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Does anyone know the difference between the Graphtec blue blade holder and the red blade holder? If they both can take 45 and 60 degree blades, and both fit the same machine, why are there different blade holders?

This is baffling me...

The red blade holder takes the sturdier .15 blades. The blue uses the .09 blades. The difference is more iron into the material and more lateral stability for cutting thick and/or tough media.

iSign

What amazes me even more is the gaul to charge $125 for a little piece of plastic. Just unreal!

...some people question my gaul to charge $125 to cut their store hours & drive around the block to stick 'em on... so, those people don't get 'em!

as for the blade holder, it's a precision instrument, that is far more than a little piece of plastic, and if it can play an important role in precise cuts on expensive blast mask, leading to consisten quality results on expensive sandblasted signs for years to come... I think I'd go ahead and stick up an extra set of store hours to get me one... oh yeah, I already did! Never gave it a second thought!

jiarby

Bob's got it... the blade diameter. I use Ross's Clean Cut blades, and a .15 for the 60° and the .09 for the 45°

A thicker 60° blade should not snap the tip off as often as a .09 one. More Meat on the blade tip.

coyote

I was wondering the same thing myself and figured I'll just hand cut the larger graphics-when I get a job that requires a lot of small type, I'll bite the bullet and pay for the red holder.

BTW:as an official English major, I had to say: it's gall as in gall bladder. Theoretically, being upset enough to cause the gall bladder to disgorge "gall", whatever that is. Gauls are folks like Asterix.
C

R08

Wow and all this time I thought if you used the blue holder the story ended and you believe what you want to believe and if you used the red holder you stayed in wonderland and find out how deep the rabbit hole went?

synergy_jim

Wow and all this time I thought if you used the blue holder the story ended and you believe what you want to believe and if you used the red holder you stayed in wonderland and find out how deep the rabbit hole went?

I thought it all had to do with the sign MATRIX ?

wake up Neo.....
:clapping: