• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Red top blade holder/60° blade advice?

Jillbeans

I found out in order to cut reflective (Gerber 280i) I have to have a red top blade holder for my CE5000-60. I thought I could just get one of their 60° blades and put it into my regular blue top blade holder.
And the blades come two to a pack, for a little over $90! Yeesh!
The holder was also $97. I cancelled out my pounce attachment, which cost the same and was on back order, I can pen plot and hand pounce if I have to.

I will try not to sell too many reflective lettered signs in the future, although I guess I'll have enough blades to last me.

I am going to have to look at my CD and try to figure out how/where to configure Roll 2 settings and also to slow down the speed, as it still goes a bit faster than I can handle. I'm not too worried about adjusting the new blade or holder (watch I'll be whining about that next week)

It's been a real learning experience.
Even though I like the cutter, I find myself putting off making signs simply because I am so intimidated by the new learning curve, the speed, and the damn vynull popping off those stupid bars in the back.
I am not going to let it get the best of me, but I also do not want to waste any expensive reflective material.

Off to find the post about homemade media baskets.
:thankyou:
Love....Jill

Bigdawg

Just Me
Clean cut has those blades for about $16 or so each... and they have the holders too.

Know it's a lil late for this one, but HIGHLY recommend 'em...

animenick65

You CAN cut reflective with the standard blade, but the 60 degree will work better. Yes, blade holders are expensive, especially considering they are made out of plastic. Not sure of another source for them.

Not sure how your machine is compared to ours, but even in roll 2, we have 4 slots available for various setting presets. We have a preset for the blue holder with blade as well as a seperate preset for the red holder. The presets also have a spot for the specific blade holder type , not sure if this affects performance at all. We always slow the preset for the red holder way down.

Blades however, can be purchased at a great price at cleancutblade.com We use them all the time with great success.

graphixtogo

I just put the 60 degree blade in the blue holder and it works fine for me. I think the "red" and "blue are just for quick visual identification (not positive though).

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
I just put the 60 degree blade in the blue holder and it works fine for me. I think the "red" and "blue are just for quick visual identification (not positive though).

The blue holder is for the .09mm blade and the red holder is for the .15mm blade. Both blade sizes come in 45 and 60 degrees.

cgsigns_jamie

Yours may be different but I know that with mine the Blue holder accepts .9mm diameter blades and the Red holder accepts 1.5mm diameter blades.

I attached the sheet from Graphtec.

I had a nice conversation with Ross from Clean Cut and he helped me figure out which blades I needed based on the materials I'd be cutting. Jill you should certainly give them a call the next time you need to order some blades.

(Oh and I just got the pounce tool for my FC8000, I highly recommend you save your pennies and get one, it's much nicer than pouncing by hand)

Attachments

• Blade-Plunger-FAQ-web.pdf
    942.2 KB · Views: 140

dbenec

the damn vynull popping off those stupid bars in the back.

hate that sound as well. :frustrated:

if you're cutting something 3' long, feed that amount through the cutter, align the material then lower the pinch rollers. When the cutter pulls the material back to the start point i usually watch to check the alignment of the roll is ok. Then you have enough slack-off the roll-that the cutter doesn't jerk the vinyl off the rollers.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
It's been a real learning experience.
Even though I like the cutter, I find myself putting off making signs simply because I am so intimidated by the new learning curve, the speed, and the damn vynull popping off those stupid bars in the back...

To keep the roll on the rollers stick a length of 1" PVC pipe through the roll and overlapping the roller supports. Then bungee the PCV to the roller supports with a couple of mini-bungees. Works for me every time. I even notched the PVC pipe so it fits solidly on the roll supports. It adds maybe 10 seconds to loading a roll of media but I never have it pulled off the rollers.

sinetist

I've just cut a bunch of reflective vinyl using the regular blade and holder on my graphtec CE5000-60. What I did was slow the speed down to 12 and upped the down force to 18. It cut beautifully with no problems.

BobM

Jill, I always pre-feed the material I'll be cutting (plus 2 feet) to avoid the "popping" or jerking of the roll. On my Roland it will shut the machine off if I don't.

jiarby

I use a CB15 60° blade with the red holder.

Just changing the blades is not enough! You also HAVE to change the condition settings on the CE5000 for the CB15 versus the CB09.

The graphtec will save them so you can swap the blades back & forth.

You can adjust the speed, pressure/force, quality, and offset.

I think I use CB15, 15 speed, 24 force, 0 offset, 1 quality for white 3m reflective (3200).

Use the TEST button to check that your force is just right.

amy s.

Home made media basket??? I'd be interested in knowing about that if you find it. Can't cough up $400.00 for that little device. I just ordered a graphtec CE5000.