• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Reformatting a 2gb Terastation backup drive??

Todd-sta

I have transferred my data files from a 2gb Terastation raid array backup drive to other hard drives for archival storage.

I would like to completely wipe the terastation to start fresh, as well as ensure personal info such as bank account passwords, credit cards, etc are no longer on it because I inadvertently had a data folder with this info selected to backup to it as well as my other folders. If I ever ditch it for a new one, I want to make sure that personal info never is retrievable.

This drive is actually 4 hard drives, I guess, set up as some sort of Raid Array...so, it has some kind of redundant backup as I recall...so that if one drive goes down, data is still somehow retrievable off one of the other drives within this unit.

So.. anyone know how I can technically completely wipe the drive? Kinda paranoid in this era of computer hacks.:help Thanks.

SignBurst PCs

If you really want to destroy the data, make sure that you choose a software that makes several passes on the hard drives.

How sensitive is the data?

Who do you expect to find the sensitive data?

Do you think that they will use extensive data recovery techniques in order to retrieve the sensitive data?

I have used Active KillDisk, but if I remember correctly, you still need multiple passes if you want to be sure that the data in unrecoverable.

choucove

I've used Active KillDisk as was mentioned above with numerous hard drives. It is fairly simple to use, effective, and free. In addition, it will recognize just about any storage medium whether it is connected by IDE, SATA, or even USB. Many other hard drive wiping programs will not recognize USB drives.

Dice

Word of warning before you use any drive wiper. Make sure the drives are extra cooled. Put a standard personal fan on the drive enclosure or server. I lost an external drive I was wiping after it got too hot due to all of the writing to the drive.

trakers

This has been a long time staple program. Used it many, many times.
http://www.dban.org/about

Be warned depending on the settings it can take a LONG time to complete, also as mentioned above be sure to provide adequate cooling to the drive as it will HAMMER it for hours.