• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

registration marks

tintshopplus

hello all... in search of some problem solving. i'm using coreldraw x4 for design and vinyl express apprentice to cut. haven't been able to find a quick way to insert registration marks for layering. been eyeballing it lately, but i'm a perfectionist and like that extra assurance. if anyone can help a noob, thanks in advance.

:peace!:

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Registration marks, as in the traditional target variety and all of its variations, are a waste of time.

If you want to register multiple layers of vinyl cut a rectangle that bounds all of the layers on the base vinyl. That would be the one you apply first. Then cut that same rectangle, or weed border if you prefer that terminology, exactly the same size as the rectangle you put on the first layer.

Mask all the layers and trim them about 1/4" to 1/2" larger than the bounding rectangle.

Apply the first layer including the 1/4" to 1/2" of vinyl you left around the bounding rectangle.

on the subsequent layers snip an inch or so off of each corner at 45 degrees.

Register each subsequent layer with the inside of the rectangle applied with he first layer. Lining up where the 45 degree cut off corners intersect the edges of the rectangle in the base layer will give you 8 distinct and very accurate reference points for locating each subsequent layer.

When you're all done, remove the border outline from the first layer.

Even using this method more often than not it's faster and every bit as accurate just to eyeball it.

tintshopplus

thank you for the response. :goodpost: is layering a process that i would be better off doing before leaving the shop? or is it better to install each layer on site? seems to me easier to eyeball over a light table than on the substrate. of course i've not ordered clear mask as of yet either.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
thank you for the response. :goodpost: is layering a process that i would be better off doing before leaving the shop? or is it better to install each layer on site? seems to me easier to eyeball over a light table than on the substrate. of course i've not ordered clear mask as of yet either.

Install each layer on site. Always and forever.

Even if each layer lays completely on the layer below it, if you try to do it ahead of time there is a very real possibility of the base layer not going down properly. If there's overlap between layers it's a recipe for certain disaster. The best it ever is is a royal pain in the ass.

Once you learn how absurdly simple it is to register multiple layers, you'll never think about doing it ahead of time.