• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Removed vinyl, how to clean "ghosting"

jvizzini

So in order to save money I am reusing the piece of plexi that was in a light box. I removed the vinyl but now I have pure white where the lettering was and yellowish film from the elements.. How can I clean this off to have a fresh surface?

Thanks
Jason

visualeyez

With something like this, I would cover the entire face with a solid color of trans vinyl and then lay opaque black lettering on top of that.

Jillbeans

The ghost of letters past is usually permanent.
You can conceal it but you can't remove it.
Try just turning the panel upside-down (not backwards)
That way people won't be able to read the ghost as easily.
The best thing would be to buy new.
Love....Jill

Custom_Grafx

To answer the OP...

Create a mask of exactly what was on there. Weed out the lettering, stick it on exactly where it was before (this is crucial).

Expose in same conditions for same number of days/months/years as per previous lettering.

Remove mask.

You should now (theoretically) have a piece of material which looks consistent edge to edge.

I have never tried this method - as I too have found it easier to just buy some new perspex, but if I had to do it, this would be one way I would try...

Fanaticus

To answer the OP...

Create a mask of exactly what was on there. Weed out the lettering, stick it on exactly where it was before (this is crucial).

Expose in same conditions for same number of days/months/years as per previous lettering.

Remove mask.

You should now (theoretically) have a piece of material which looks consistent edge to edge.

I have never tried this method - as I too have found it easier to just buy some new perspex, but if I had to do it, this would be one way I would try...

who's got that much time? It could have been years.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
waste of time and money trying to fix plexi. like others have said, get new plexi. there is no reasonable way to fix the ghosting. Spend the $100 bucks for a new 4'x8' sheet of acrylic, cut to size ... sell signs out of the rest. I make free standing sign blanks (8x10's and 4x6's) out of my scraps I accumulate.