• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Removing decals from stainless steel?

chevylane

Hi all,

I was curious if anyone has a good technique for removing vinly decals and the leftover gunk/glue that remains after from stainless steel? I have to replace 120 decals from stainless steel recyling bins and looking for the most efficient way to get this done. If anyone has experience in this and would like to share some ideas I would be greatly thankkful. Thanks and have a great day!

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Rapid Remover or generic orange peel solvent.

Spray it on, let it sit for a minute or so, then use something like a Lil Chizzler to scrap it all up into a blob of the stickiest stuff this side of snot. Lift it off with a paper towel. Repeat if necessary. Then wipe any residue off with alcohol.

MikePro

+1 rapid remover
tho' i'll usually give duct-tape a chance beforehand. press/pull&repeat a million times with the same chunk of tape, usually lifts adhesive bits on most small projects.
large fields of adhesive, however, rapid remover is definitely your shortest-route.

DirtyD

Not sure if it would ruin stainless steel but old graphics on semis trailers or vans this stuff is AMAZING
http://www.advantagesgs.com/core/me...c52de4c4f&resizeid=-2&resizeh=240&resizew=240
8907_woodgrain_remover.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Mosh

That 3M remover works great, turns the decals to snot. Just scrape them off with a lil chizle and clean up with 3M adhesive remover, if needed.

signage

on stainless I have fond a steam cleaner (high pressure steam cleaner) is the fast and easiest.
Just blast them off with super heated water, no glue residue!