• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Removing old vinyl from a window

Ripcord

I just finished my second window sign, and this one required removal of the old vinyl graphic. It had been on the window for many years and I was having a heck of a time trying to remove it with a "little chiseler" and some solvent. I heated it with a heat gun and that helped quite a bit, but then a guy came along and told me I was doing it wrong. He pulled out a metal knife blade (linoleum knife) and began scraping away. It came off easily using the metal blade and the solvent, but I'm reluctant to use that method because I've read a lot of articles that say a metal blade can damage the window. Does anyone here use metal blades on glass?

J Hill Designs

always metal razor blades for glass removal here - use windex (etc) to act as a lubricant so that the blade glides along the glass

edit: caveat: if its tinted on the side that the graphics are on, dont

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
always metal razor blades for glass removal here - use windex (etc) to act as a lubricant so that the blade glides along the glass

edit: caveat: if its tinted on the side that the graphics are on, dont

Same here..... also with sprays of windex, alcohol, etc as a lubricant. I like to use a brand new blade in the scraper. This also helps to make sure no other specks of anything is stuck to the glass and to get it super clean before the application of the new graphics.

Marlene

I just finished my second window sign, and this one required removal of the old vinyl graphic. It had been on the window for many years and I was having a heck of a time trying to remove it with a "little chiseler" and some solvent. I heated it with a heat gun and that helped quite a bit, but then a guy came along and told me I was doing it wrong. He pulled out a metal knife blade (linoleum knife) and began scraping away. It came off easily using the metal blade and the solvent, but I'm reluctant to use that method because I've read a lot of articles that say a metal blade can damage the window. Does anyone here use metal blades on glass?

never use a heat gun on a glass window! one of these (see photo) works great. us a good sharp blade and a little windex with it. if there is a tint applied to the glass, it might be an issue put for regular glass it won't hurt it in anyway

Attachments

• scrapper.jpg
    scrapper.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 95
make sure you are using stainless blades, typically "soft glass" is on the interior side or partition glass that was installed by a cheap glass company, soft glass could scratch even with a stainless blade. i always like to check it first, or if you hear a lot of "clatter" when scraping then you might be scratching it.

Ripcord

Thanks for all the replies. Is the tint normally on the inside of the window? I'm not sure how to tell...but I assume that's where it should be.

Jwalk

I used metal blades to remove paint from windows back in the day. If you use a new blade and aren't reckless with it you should be pretty safe from scratching the window.

Like everyone said, use a lubricant (foaming glass cleaner, windex, soapy water, etc.) and a stainless steel razor blade. Make sure to clean the glass before you scrape it, the stainless steel blade won't scratch the glass but dirt sure will.

99% of the time the tint will be on the inside of the glass, only in special situations will it be on the outside (if you can't access the glass from the inside of the building for example).