• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Replacement for Chromatic High Build Primer on HDU

Mr. T

It seems this primer is no longer available. It was our go to primer for HDU. Any suggestions for a substitute?

signbrad

Although I have not been in the paint booth for a few years, I loved Matthews 6001 Polyester Primer-surfacer. It was engineered just for HDU and it is sandable in a short time. If I applied three coats with a sanding in between, I could achieve a glass-like surface (this was during my marbleizing phase). Use a big tip (2.0) and clean the gun right away. It hardens quickly and can even be used for patching dings if you let some set up in a tuna can and apply it with a knife.

Brad

Matthews 6001 High Build Primer

DL Signs

Never go against the family
Another alternative is Evercoat's Feather Fill or Super Build 4:1 Polyester high build primers. Plus you can get it locally from parts stores that carry the brand for the auto body industry, I know Oreilly's is one of them.