• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

REPLACEMENT RUBBER FOR 3m l ROLLER???

Anyone know a place to get new rubber for that tool?
Or a place to buy a new cheaper knock off?
I dont feel like spending $136.00 for a new 3M one when all i need is the rubber
Thanks all

No this one Roller L
5841c238413e69ba7e88e82a23c284a9.jpg

Roller%20L-L.jpg

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Good grief...I didn't realize how fussy 3M is with their tools. It even comes with a license agreement for its use:

The purchase of 3MVehicle Channel Applicator Tool VCAT-2, Tool Roller L and Tool Roller S (the ”Tools”) includes
a limited, non-exclusive license for the Buyer to use the Tools, in conjunction only with 3M film products,
to teach and/or perform the method claimed in the following patents and patent applications owned by 3M Innovative Properties
Company. Patent or Publication Number United States Patent Application Number US 2007/ 0000606 WO
00/43220 European Patent Number 1 147 019. The rights granted under this Label License extend only to the Tool
purchased herewith. Buyer may not transfer the rights granted hereunder except with the resale of the Tool. 3M
DOES NOT make any warranties or representations regarding use of the Tools to practice the method under this
Label License. Buyer represents and warrants that it will use 3M film products when teaching or performing the
method described in the above referenced patent application. The rights are expressly revoked if Buyer teaches
and/or performs the method with a non-3M film product. Further licenses of these patents and patent applications
are available for a negotiated royalty.

Per this link https://s3.amazonaws.com/fellers/production/documents/3M_tip-VCAT_tools.pdf

No they don't make replacement the replacement is to buy a new one. Read some more on these tools. 3M has a lot of restrictions on use of these tools. You can't use them for any other material then 3M Films. You can't even lend it to your partner in the shop without having to resell it to him. haha it was in the fine print of the paper that comes with the tool.

http://www.lowencertified.com/catalog/default.asp?catid=200
Here you can buy them for $123 and they have cheaper other tools.

rjssigns

Think creatively guys. Find your local hydraulic shop and ask to see their o-ring selection. Find a supplier of gasket material. Go to Walmart and look at kids toys. Google rubber roller manufacturers. They will have various durometers from which to choose.

Truth to tell before I'd spend the crazy money 3M wants I'd manufacture my own. Wood handle, piece of round stock, etc... Those tools were not designed by NASA. Of course they will lead you to believe that they have developed the only wheeled tool that will magically do the work for you.:rolleyes:

Think creatively guys. Find your local hydraulic shop and ask to see their o-ring selection. Find a supplier of gasket material. Go to Walmart and look at kids toys. Google rubber roller manufacturers. They will have various durometers from which to choose.

Truth to tell before I'd spend the crazy money 3M wants I'd manufacture my own. Wood handle, piece of round stock, etc... Those tools were not designed by NASA. Of course they will lead you to believe that they have developed the only wheeled tool that will magically do the work for you.:rolleyes:

+1+1++1+ That's what I was saying with the rollerblade wheels. Heck I would imagine a hard foam roller for painting might work.

Official 3M response for you:

Dear Eric,

Thank you for contacting 3M, the innovation company. We appreciate your interest in our products.

Unfortunately, 3M does not make replacement rubber for the Roller L at this time. The only option for replacement is to purchase a new roller.

Regards,

T.J.
3M Commercial Graphics Division
www.3mgraphics.com
1-800-328-3908

rjssigns

Official 3M response for you:

Dear Eric,

Thank you for contacting 3M, the innovation company. We appreciate your interest in our products.

Unfortunately, 3M does not make replacement rubber for the Roller L at this time. The only option for replacement is to purchase a new roller.

Regards,

T.J.
3M Commercial Graphics Division
www.3mgraphics.com
1-800-328-3908

OUCH!!! Wonderful business model.

Hmmm, if I knew what market demand was...