• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Replacing lexan sign face question

soloinstaller

Hi everybody. I recently got approached by a print shop to remove and replace a slide in lexan sign face about 10' off the ground. Size of the face is about 93" x 46” and I plan to go up there with a ladder. This will be my first time doing this.

I figure this will take less than an hour so I will charge $90. Do you guys think I can do this job solo, or is that too big for one person to handle?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Off a ladder, that will not be easy. However, since you said it's your first time doing this, do you have adequate and proper insurance to perform such an act ??

Black Star

Not A New Member
Hi everybody. I recently got approached by a print shop to remove and replace a slide in lexan sign face about 10' off the ground. Size of the face is about 93" x 46” and I plan to go up there with a ladder. This will be my first time doing this.

I figure this will take less than an hour so I will charge $90. Do you guys think I can do this job solo, or is that too big for one person to handle?
Not a good idea to try this alone. Your install price is a little cheap, especially when considering you need a ladder. Always charge more for having to go up in the air.

One issue with Lexan is that it is wobbly and is hard to pull out or put in and especially so when on a ladder. I'd recommend taking 2 ladders and bring someone else to help you.

soloinstaller

Off a ladder, that will not be easy. However, since you said it's your first time doing this, do you have adequate and proper insurance to perform such an act ??
Hi Gino really? What about 2 guys and 2 ladders? And yes I'm insured for the work

soloinstaller

Not a good idea to try this alone. Your install price is a little cheap, especially when considering you need a ladder. Always charge more for having to go up in the air.

One issue with Lexan is that it is wobbly and is hard to pull out or put in and especially so when on a ladder. I'd recommend taking 2 ladders and bring someone else to help you.
photo_5145826594403756941_y.jpg

Actually I think I may have to rent scaffolding for this, looks like I can't even lean a ladder anywhere. Definitely going to bump up the rate.

JBurton

Signtologist
is that too big for one person to handle?
Just how big 'a boy are ya? - Roy D Mercer
But really, Scissor lift would be easier than scaffolding, but not necessarily cheaper, if you have a pair of ladders and a second guy you can grab, I'd set up two A frames. Remove the top trim and right side trim, drop the old sign, lay it over the new to verify size. Also worth noting, either bring the old face down and have the print shop make the new panel to fit, or include a price to trim the new face to match the old. Skill saw with a plywood blade should be all you need.
Oh and yeah, do the service before installing the new face... Nothing beats getting a call a week later and having to jump through hoops to remove a face all over again.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
2 guys and 2 ladders might work, but you hafta take that face out the top. It looks like the walls jut out at the sides. Scaffolding...... you'd be better off renting a bucket truck or asking someone who has one to do it for you. !0' to the bottom of the sign, plus another 4' so you hafta pull that sign at least 18' in the air. We'd be around $1,050 + tx. Not charging by the hour, but 1/2 day for bucket truck usage.

gnubler

Wonder if the top frame and one of the side frames can be removed? Then you can just angle the signs out of and into the channel. If so, I think two people with two stepladders could handle that. If there's budget for a lift, then it would be easier.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Half a day with the truck? I'd see this as an hour tops, plus drive time. I'd figure half a day for guys and ladders maybe.

Figure 1/2 hour to get there and 1/2 back. Set up on site get everything underway and some S.F. time. Might need to do some unforeseen things and some S.F. time. When ya get back, ya hafta cut up and legally dispose of that face. Yep, about 1.5 to 2 hours. Round up and it's a 1/2 day. I started this recipe in the last year or two and it certainly is paying off.

Also, now it looks like ya can pull it out either side, so I just don't know on this, but I'd still use the bucket.

Billct2

Did the company making the face tell you how it goes in? Looks like all the retainers may come off, which would make it pretty easy.
Take off top and two sides and drop face it and put retainers back on.
Install, two guys, two big step ladders, about an hour, maybe more. Plus travel time.
But if they don't know how it opens up add another hour to check it out

Last edited:

JBurton

Signtologist
legally dispose of that face.
What's considered legal in your neck of the woods on polycarbonate? We just have a rolloff that gets emptied at $75/ton, they'd even let us throw in flourescents if they're broken... I'm not doing that...
some S.F. time
And what's that? Stupid f*cker time? I mean I get it, but I don't envy my outside guys in any way, so I like to pretend to respect them...