• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Replacing my vinyl cutter, recommendations?

Kat Gilland

I've been using a Roland Camm-1 for a few years and its time to replace it. I do a variety of applications but nothing too large so a 28 inch cut area is just fine for me.

At the moment I am looking at Laserpoint 3 arms and Vevor kw-870, they appear to be adequate for my needs. Anyone using these or have a suggestion for a better machine?

Boudica

I'm here for Educational Purposes
Summa S2 Class T (Tangential blade). We've had ours for a few years now (Cam 1 still sits in front of my desk, but we don't use it). I love the Summa

drvinyl

you have a camm-1 you already have the best plotter, they are work horses they will run til the end of time.

cornholio

Summa, if you want to ease your weeding for the next couple of years.
I don't understand people "saving" money on mediocre cutters and then spending their time and nerves on weeding for years and years...
I once had a case, when a customer sent a media back, that "didn't work anymore".
He was using a Mimaki CG130 FX...(not a bad cutter)
I tested the heat transfer medium on a Roland, Graphtec and a Summa S tangential. Guess what... I sent the cut non weeded samples to the customer.
The next day he wanted to know, how it was cut. The day after he stood in our showroom and the next day I installed a Summa at his place...
He told me, that he needed 20 minutes to weed for one logo cut with the Mimaki, compared to 2 minutes with the Summa...
Do I need to say more???

guillermo

I've been using a Roland Camm-1 for a few years and its time to replace it. I do a variety of applications but nothing too large so a 28 inch cut area is just fine for me.

At the moment I am looking at Laserpoint 3 arms and Vevor kw-870, they appear to be adequate for my needs. Anyone using these or have a suggestion for a better machine?
I do have a Camm-1 Pro, since November 2012 and its working fine, not problems, have not replaced any parts, just the cutting strip once and added 2 more rollers (holders), came with a RE640, unfortunately fits a 54" media but only cuts a max of 46" wide, I have to cut my digital roll media according to the use from the printer, but until now, I will not change it, instead, we bought a HP Latex (64" printing area) and along, another cutter that I do not even know what brand is it, just says "HP Latex 64 Plus Cutter" that I use for print and cut, the Camm 1 Pro, for regular cut vinyl.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
I do have a Camm-1 Pro, since November 2012 and its working fine, not problems, have not replaced any parts, just the cutting strip once and added 2 more rollers (holders), came with a RE640, unfortunately fits a 54" media but only cuts a max of 46" wide, I have to cut my digital roll media according to the use from the printer, but until now, I will not change it, instead, we bought a HP Latex (64" printing area) and along, another cutter that I do not even know what brand is it, just says "HP Latex 64 Plus Cutter" that I use for print and cut, the Camm 1 Pro, for regular cut vinyl.
It's a Summa S1 rebranded.

gnubler

Summa, if you want to ease your weeding for the next couple of years.

He told me, that he needed 20 minutes to weed for one logo cut with the Mimaki, compared to 2 minutes with the Summa...
Can anyone elaborate on this? How does one machine make weeding easier than another machine? I though a plot was a plot. Education needed...

Boudica

I'm here for Educational Purposes
Can anyone elaborate on this? How does one machine make weeding easier than another machine? I though a plot was a plot. Education needed...
Because it cuts so well? It's such a super clean cut - I can usually just weed something in one pull, rather than gently tugging at different angles to weed out the background. Just spitballing here - I never really thought about it as weeding faster - it's just easier.

unmateria

My summa 140 has nearly 20 years with nearly 0 problems. It works everyday since we bought it doing from 50 meters rolls for windows to thousand of laminated/unlaminated stickers ... and we have had other crappy machines that have lasted nothing (crappy mainboards, crappy drivers or even plastic things breaking). Wasnt a cheap machine (about 6000€) but maybe is the most confiable machine i have had by far and im pretty sure it will last lots of years more.

cornholio

Because it cuts so well? It's such a super clean cut - I can usually just weed something in one pull, rather than gently tugging at different angles to weed out the background. Just spitballing here - I never really thought about it as weeding faster - it's just easier.
That's exactly describing it... one pull is really easylier and faster than holding down every dot in a text.

aerial

QCB
I bought a used Summa on craigslist years ago. Works flawlessly. Their free software not so much. I design in Illustrator and import to Macsign cut.