• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

resize graphics to use on wall

teamrolex

Hi Guys,

The source image is 831kb (1109x1538 and 72dpi).
The target is a wall in the living room 2.2m x 1.8m.

Although I am familiar and used Perfect Resize often,
I have never blown up image that much since most of our work comes in 300dpi and near print size or are vector based.

Any suggestion what setting I can try ?
I resize to 2.2m x 1.8m and 300dpi and of course my computer tells me it takes forever to process ;-)
Or will 2.2m x 1.8m 72dpi be ok ?

Since it's in the living room, the distance of view is 2~3 meters.

Please give uncle rolex some suggestions. thanks.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
I'd shoot for 100-150 dpi myself (300 is not going to help with the file size you are starting with). It going to take a few minutes to scale it up - just how it goes. Longest I've had one take was maybe 5 minutes on a massive file but I do have a very fast machine.

teamrolex

I'd shoot for 100-150 dpi myself (300 is not going to help with the file size you are starting with). It going to take a few minutes to scale it up - just how it goes. Longest I've had one take was maybe 5 minutes on a massive file but I do have a very fast machine.

thanks for your reply and suggestion.

given the pathetic small file size, would you think I will get better quality using 300dpi versus 100 or 200 dpi ?

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
You will actually get considerably worse quality of you try to make it 300dpi at that size.....

teamrolex

oh ?
I have tried 300dpi, 200, 150 and 72dpi, actually all seems to look the same to me.
this is driving me crazy.

so "billboard" size 100dpi you think is like the optimum ?

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Kind hard to explain but I'll try. Increasing the resolution of an image while keeping the size the same is the same as increasing the size but keeping the resolution the same. Both are doing the same thing - adding additional data that does not exist. You have to balance things to an extent and play with the settings.

In prefect resize - at the top right navigator click 1:1 so you are really seeing what the final result is at 100% view. Then play with the settings on both resolution and size to find what is going to give the most acceptable result.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
I agree with the others, 100-150 dpi will be a visually chunky image but it won't have the same resize issues as the 300dpi lot. at most I would go 200dpi.

As for the art, you can also cheat and ask them if you can get a little artistic with it, and after you resize turn the image to half tone or noise or throw it into illustrator and do a full color vector in (shudder) live trace then resize, convert and bobs your uncle, a lot closer than before. I hate doing that ... but sometimes when doubling and quadrupaling the size (or more) only way to get around it.

visual800

Am I reading this right? If you are starting out with a 72 dpi image you cannot change that dpi to a higher resolution and expect more clarity. This is too small of an image in size and dpi to achiver the clarity it will take for a graphic that large

signswi

Am I reading this right? If you are starting out with a 72 dpi image you cannot change that dpi to a higher resolution and expect more clarity. This is too small of an image in size and dpi to achiver the clarity it will take for a graphic that large

You're correct but using software such as Perfect resize you can get away with upscaling for many applications (I usually don't recommend above 400%). It's impossible to say if the OP has a shot without seeing the image as image content is very important when considering how badly upscaling will impact quality.

For that size and view distance I'd target 200 ppi minimum but OP you really should try to get better art, 1109x1538 is pretty poor for an original.

teamrolex

Thanks for chipping in.
and nope this wasn't what I meant as I am aware of what you mentioned.

teamrolex

You're correct but using software such as Perfect resize you can get away with upscaling for many applications (I usually don't recommend above 400%). It's impossible to say if the OP has a shot without seeing the image as image content is very important when considering how badly upscaling will impact quality.

For that size and view distance I'd target 200 ppi minimum but OP you really should try to get better art, 1109x1538 is pretty poor for an original.

Yeah agreed !!
tried 100, 150d and 200 ppi it's quite ok at 150ppi but problem is from that kind of short viewing distance (small living room) makes the print look bad.

I decided to feedback this and try to get them to submit a higher res file.

Thanks everyone for your advice.