• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Reworking the website

jkdbjj

Since Dan's crew worked out a new logo for us, I am now tasked with integrating it into our website.

Our current site is http://www.vivisual.com
It is dark, and for the most part has been very successful for us. However, the new logo simply doesn't fit.

and just a mock up of doing something new with the new logo is here:
newdesign-3.jpg

I am more of a fan of lighter color website sites, and cleaner the better.

Looking for ideas or suggestions.

jkdbjj

Already seeing way to much white space up top. Done for the night, walk away and try again later :D

WildWestDesigns

Push the 'print screen' key on your keyboard. and paste into photoshop or something of the sort.

If you are running Win 7 just use the snipping tool. A screen capture and crops all in one stroke. Very handy tool for screen captures where you want to focus on one specific point.

petesign

:thread I used to live in Dilworth when i worked at 1065 the End. Great city. I barely remember my time there LOL.

---

I think the site looks pretty good. The logo looks small, but it's very easy to read with the contrast from the charcoal. -- why not try that with the new? (I like darker sites I guess)

John Butto

MacOS users

In Mac OS X, you can use simple keyboard shortcuts to do all sorts of things, including capturing images of what’s on your Mac screen. For example, you can take a screen shot of your entire screen by holding down the Command and Shift keys and pressing a 3.
If you hold down the Command and Shift keys and press 4, Mac OS X turns the cursor into crosshairs you can use to select whatever portion of your display you’d like to capture in a screen shot.
If you immediately hit the Spacebar after typing Command-Shift-4, Mac OS X replaces those crosshairs with a little camera. Using the camera, you can take a screen shot of the Dock, the entire menu bar, a single open menu, the desktop, or any open window.

CES020

I think it looks really good! I'd slow that slideshow down by another second or two. About the time I focus on things, it changes. Just a little too fast right now.

You've got some really nice work and photos, give everyone a chance to enjoy your work!

Good job, you've really gone through a lot of changes this year, good to see you enjoying success.

Zakk

Overall, I think it looks very nice. I did not read the whole thing, but two things jump out at me. First, the slide show is WAY too fast. I would make it run about a third of the speed AND give the ability to pause it. Secondly, the content is over optimized for Google and it is obvious. My advice there is to write for humans while keeping in mind that Google will be "reading" it too, not the other way around.

Well I've settled for now on this as my homepage style.
www.vivisual.com

qmr55

Overall, I think it looks very nice. I did not read the whole thing, but two things jump out at me. First, the slide show is WAY too fast. I would make it run about a third of the speed AND give the ability to pause it. Secondly, the content is over optimized for Google and it is obvious. My advice there is to write for humans while keeping in mind that Google will be "reading" it too, not the other way around.

I agree with this 101%.

Also, I think you need to rethink using terms such as "best bang for your buck" just sounds cheesy and cheap to me. While you may not be that way, it makes it sound like it and I compare that to things such as those cheap used car dealer local commercials you see on tv with the creepy guy screaming at you "come on down to broad st auto sales, where you GET THE BEST BANG FOR YOUR BUCK!!!"

Your site looks like it gives off a professional look and then you begin reading and it is very over verbalized and then there are terms such as the above. Give it a read and you'll see what I mean.

signswi

Lose all the social bugs on every page. Those are fine after a blog post but not after every informational page. If you insist on them move them into the footer and integrate the design into a block so that they're less obnoxious. Focus on calls to action that are larger wins in/after your main content block instead.

signswi

Paying a copywriter to overhaul everything wouldn't be a terrible idea either, as a few others above have pointed out.

After that, focus on improving your conversion funnels. You have very few real calls to action, and those that you do have aren't very obvious. As an example, there's no immediate, instant way to ask for a quote on your main page. There should be a main nav bar quote option, a big call for action quote where your slider is/in one of the slides (also too many slides, 4 max). The slides are also all pictures and Google really wants content above the fold, meaning picture slides are fine as long as there is also content text overlayed on it. Then also another call for action quote form in the footer / after content. You need to put a much bigger emphasis on capturing leads, not just using your website as a way to tell people about your company and services.

One more tip, any more and I'd have to start charging, is to schema mark-up your footer address. It's good that you have it there, site wide, but it needs schema markup. Use this tool to do that (and more): http://www.51blocks.com/online-marketing-tools/google-local-toolbox/