• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ricoh SG 3110DN sublimation vs Ricoh SG 3110DN

gabi68

Hi to all,

I was a old user of sublimation but life force in another direction. Now I am in position to go back to old pasions.
I use to have an Epson 1280 with a mug press and Cactus paper from Mick (RIP) but since I dint use that for few years it is now dead.
Looking at new technology that printer is ancient anyway.
I was looking at Ricoh SG 3110DN and I saw a big difference on prices. IE a normal printer is 70-100 USD and a sublimation one is 295- 350USD.
I also saw a vidoe with David Gross about that printer and he said they remove the OEM cartridges and sell the printer with SubliJet.
My question are:
- what is the differnce between a normal printer and one for sublimation (besides cartridges)?
- can I buy normal one (without OEM cartridges) and buy SubliJet and install myself?

Thank you for your time
Gabi

Dakotagrafx

yes you can buy one that has not had ink in it previously and add the sublijet carts. I did that the first time - bought the printer off ebay new - installed sublijet ink - found the printer had a bad print head (NEW) and that because it was bought from a non dealer it didn't have any warranty - lost about $220 in ink used to charge the lines and heads besides the printer - then call david gross and ordered a new gx7000 from him - 11.5 months later had a problem with the gx-7000 -c alled david - the gx7000 was out of stock at the time so they send a smaller printer with free ink until my gx-7000 was back in stock in about 6 weeks. go the new gx-7000 with 2 free carts to cover what is lost in charging the lines - bought the smaller one for a great price instead of them paying the shipping back to them (the other option). so my experience it was better and cheaper in the long run to buy from the reputable dealer

SlightlyChilled

I have a Ricoh SG 3110DN it rocks. I do mug stuff with it. I forgot that the power people changed out my meter so the printer was off for like a month. Powered back up test print WAS SPOT ON. No mug orders that month so I kind of forgot about it for a bit with all the other crap going on and all...

WildWestDesigns

I have a Ricoh SG 3110DN it rocks. I do mug stuff with it. I forgot that the power people changed out my meter so the printer was off for like a month. Powered back up test print WAS SPOT ON. No mug orders that month so I kind of forgot about it for a bit with all the other crap going on and all...

Ricoh printers do handle none use for lengthy periods really well compared to other small format sublimation printers (which I really think is only Epson).