• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Rivets

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
You are trying to compare calendered vinyl to cast vinyl. While it's rated for long term 3551 is really designed for flat surfaces and simple to moderate curves. Use Oracal 3951 which is a true cast vinyl if you want to go over tight things like rivets or compound curves with no tenting. 3M 180 is a true cast vinyl and does stay down nice over rivets as well - it's still the one we use more than any. Oracal 3951 also stays down nice - I have used it before but not much.

JoshLoring

SightLine said:
You are trying to compare calendered vinyl to cast vinyl.

+1
Always going to get renting on calendered vinyl. If I want something to REALLY stay, I get out the Rivet Sealer 3000 and burn it down lol.

bayviewsignworks

Thank you (except for Chicago idiot who seems to think this is his opportunity to practice his stand-up routine). We're moving to Cast/Cast and that rivot tool looks sweet!

Mikeifg

Im doing a job with regular 3551 with rivets on a big trailer and we are using good heat and a rivet brush not the rollpro because it wont lay it down tight. I think your problem is the RA, Go regular and there should be no problems.

bayviewsignworks

Just not half as many bubbles with 3551RA. I did use 3951RA and that works well - little bit harder to apply; thinner and rinkles quick if you're not careful. Thanks all.

HulkSmash

Thank you (except for Chicago idiot who seems to think this is his opportunity to practice his stand-up routine). We're moving to Cast/Cast and that rivot tool looks sweet!

How's he an idiot? It's very possible that not installing it right would cause it to tent.. even if it was cast vinyl.

not sure how he is an idiot... whether it is picking the wrong vinyl/lam or installation issues it still comes down to human error... Always cast for anything that isn't flat... like rivets

MikePro

3551RA isn't designed for rivots. I will only use the stuff (and highly recommend for) on simple curved/flat surfaces. Its a high performance calendared but still a calendared nonetheless.
If you want oracal, go with the 3951, otherwise 3m 180C(v3).