• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland SP300 cut walking off

groutch

I'm cutting small logos 5/8x5/8 with a contour cut. We are doing fourty per row it seems the last couple of rows the cut path seem to wonder off.
Has anybody experience this or those anybody no if it is normal. We are losing about 2mil.
Can you do big runs with small logos?

Color Dude

Describe your design. Circle, rectangle, egg shape??
What material? When was the last time you performed the print cut adjust on the machine?

groutch

Rolland off set cutting

We are cutting a Senator Hockey Logo for a helmets.
We have adjusted the feed for cutting.The first eight logo are perfect
after that slowly start to wider off only on the scan side.
I have attached a picture.
We are using Orajet 3164G

Attachments

• senatorswhitenov29.jpg
    senatorswhitenov29.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:

Color Dude

Groutch:

From what your describing it sounds like the print/cut/adjust needs to be recalibrated. If you do not have the procedure on how to do this, let me know and I will send it over to you.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
You can do an automatic or manual print/cut adjustment through the menu button on the printer.

woolly

i would have thought that if the first few are ok then the alignment is ok.

do a environment check and retry
some materials prefer the heaters off whilst cutting
if all else fails print with reg marks then align to reg marks and cut. this will allow for material dimensional stability. or lack of it
every now and again it still plays up.
send the file with a eps page size rather than just selected this forces fixed sizes.

woolly

Ken

"send the file with a eps page size rather than just selected this forces fixed sizes."??
Can you explain that please?
Thanks.
Ken

woolly

just from experience that if a control Handel is outside the normal file boundary can cause problems like this. placing the graphic in the middle of a page cured it. don't understand it other than it cured the problem that time.

woolly

Color Dude

Environmental Match should be done on a daily basis. SP-300 and SP-540 machines have to perform this manually from the end-users control panel. The newer Roland machines do it every time the material is setup. That makes it nice and helps eliminate these kind of problems.

I sent that procedure over to you groutch. Let me know if you need assistance.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Doesn't have to be in service mode. Push the menu button and go to the setting you want to adjust w/ the arrow key.

Color Dude

Groutch:

If your still unable to get it done, PM your phone number and I will give you a call and help you with it.

Michael77

I'm running into the same problem with a larger print.... I'm not sure if this is the case for you... but on mine... it seems the cutter is pushing my media over.... there are a couple more moving parts in my production... for one .... I'm laminating and then cutting... but everything is calibrated on mine... I'm doing long continuous cuts for a vehichle graphic.... and it's shifting my media about half an inch by the time it gets to the turnaround point... and when it gets back... ironically.... the media is back where it started... check to see if your media is shifting during your cuts... if it is... you might want to lower your cut speed and add rollers to your media... I'm about to try that with mine and I'm all about more idea... so if anyone wants to continue this.... please do :)

Color Dude

He has a SP300, he is unable to add more pinch rollers.

As for you Mike, considering your performing a print/lam/cut procedure, if it is walking as much as your stating, are you sure you have the material perfectly square when you put it back in the machine to do the cut? This has happen to me on my printer and come to find out it was just me not having the material perfectly square when I printed it and then sheet cut it. I laminated it and stuck it back in and used what I thought was a straight cut on the lead edge and come to find out it was off about a 1/16th and do the math over a length of 7 1/2 ft you can imagine how crooked it was on the tail.

I always reload the material now and feed it manually to make sure it is straight before starting my optical line up for the cut.

Just my .02
---------------------------------------------------
Groutch,
How did things work out for you? Did you get the problem resolved?

Michael77

yes I'm sure it was square, I had manually scrolled it from begining to end to makesure no crawling was happening... and Actually I just finished running a corrected run....

I corrected it by...

Lowering my cut pressure a little and making it do 2 passes
Adding all available pinch rollers I could… a total of 7 were in place on a 27" width... probably a touch much... but better safe than sorry...
Lowering my cut speed from 30 cm/s to 10….

Phil Swanson

Premium Subscriber
I had the same problem when I was cutting a 7' decal it started the contour cut ok but ended about 1/4 " off. I found that cleaning the calibration strip (very carefully) fixed the problem. If the calibration strip gets dirty the printer loses track of whare the head is. My calibration strip had several spots of dust stuck on it.Some people said to clean the calibration eye but its very hard to get to , I just blew mine off with a can of compressed air.

SignsOfMaine

I'd heard this can be an issue too, and that the fix is to just do medium sized batches and send the print job a few times rather than 1 large batch.

And/or do what wooly said, set up a bunch of the in your design program and have it print crop marks and let it analyze them, that's always been very safe for me.

njteaser

I am having the same (walking off) issue as described by the original poster. I would appreciate it if someone could send me the instructions for the Cut Recalibration steps as well. I see that the person who had it has been banned.

I have an SP300, cutting a very simple shape but after print/laminate and cut, it cuts portions of the graphic ok but walks on some spots and I am sure this just needs to be recalibrated.

NJ

Last edited: