• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

roland sp540

graphix

hello i just installed new firmware latest update to my sp540 and updated versa works, now when i print i have no magenta or yellow, i did a clean and a power clean and still no magenta or yellow the head shows its firing in just a few places any idea...thanks
tech talked me into updating was working fine,, i just added a router and needed help setting my ethernet back up, i had it messed up...

Last edited:

Jack Knight1979

you have a list of things that could be wrong.

1) clogged dampers
2) clogged heads
3) needs new captops
4) bad carts / ink.

First thing to do is put a little cleaning solution in the cap top and let the heads soak for about 20 minutes then do a medium cleaning. It's better to do two medium cleanings than one powerful cleaning.

graphix

dumb question what does the cap top and damper look like..thanks
you have a list of things that could be wrong.

1) clogged dampers
2) clogged heads
3) needs new captops
4) bad carts / ink.

First thing to do is put a little cleaning solution in the cap top and let the heads soak for about 20 minutes then do a medium cleaning. It's better to do two medium cleanings than one powerful cleaning.

graphix

looking better to me but still clogged or something,
what shall i keep doing whats this look like far as problem wise thanks tim

Last edited:

graphix

will this print a banner like this with satisfactory results?
or what should i do any sugestions>?
thanks

grafixemporium

You can't just fill the capping station with cleaning solution on that printer. It will just drain right out to the waste bottle. Read the part highlighted in red below to soak your heads properly.

You also need to make sure the gaskets around the head caps are in good shape. If there is not an airtight seal, the cleaning cycles will not get any suction and will not work.

Here's my solution to the same problem from this thread...

http://www.signs101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51772

Well, the tech made it out before I had a chance to get the heads cleaned myself... and I learned some good tricks so I'm glad he came. He solved the problem in less than 30 minutes. Here's what he did...

- removed the panel below the interface

- detached the tubes leading from the capping station to the pump

- with the carriage "docked" on the capping station he inserted a syringe and sucked the crap from the heads through the capping station and into the syringe

- reconnected the tubes to the pump

- performed normal cleaning

- problem solved!

He did say that a good, long head soak would probably have likely worked too... but his method was the quick and dirty fix.

Thanks for the tips!

One thing -- you have to have a vaccum tight seal when the heads are on the capping station for the syringe method to work. If the rubber gaskets or tubing does not have a good seal, you will not get good suction and you will be pulling air with your syringe instead of the junk from the heads. Also, if your don't have good suction, your cleaning cycles are likely not doing their job anyway. So it's a good idea to keep those rubber gaskets around the capping station clean and soft and make sure all the plumbing below is air tight.

As for the paper towel method, the tech showed me a better way to soak the heads. With the printer powered down, simply remove the panel below the interface to expose the pump and tubes leading from the capping station to the pump. Crimp each tube and hold it with a binder clip. Fill each head cap with cleaning fluid. The crimp will prevent the cleaning fluid from just draining out to the waste bottle and allow it to pool in the caps. Move the carriage back into place gently until it clicks. Let the heads soak overnight. The next morning, uncrimp the tubes and crank up the printer. Run a cleaning cycle or two and then run a test print.
I did this last night and have 100% of my nozzles back.

One more notable tidbit... the main difference between the normal/medium cleaning cycle and the powerful cleaning cycle is the amount of ink used in the process. However, in the powerful cleaning cycle the heads are run across the wipers in the opposite direction they are normally wiped, with the rougher side of the wipers. This really scrapes the surface of the heads. So, it's a good idea to run a normal cleaning cycle immediately after a heavy cleaning cycle to wipe the heads the normal way one last time.

graphix

what panel do i remove? thanks for the info..
You can't just fill the capping station with cleaning solution on that printer. It will just drain right out to the waste bottle. Read the part highlighted in red below to soak your heads properly.

You also need to make sure the gaskets around the head caps are in good shape. If there is not an airtight seal, the cleaning cycles will not get any suction and will not work.

grafixemporium

unscrew the plastic panel below the capping station... below the control panel.

When I finish printing, I'll take a picture for you. I'm sure the SP540 is pretty much the same as the VP540.

As for the mixed up colors... I don't know. Looks like cross contamination some how. I can't really tell, but it looks like there's some yellow in the magenta nozzles too.

graphix

thanks all to has posted....i read hear about the cleanning solution draining to bottle.. what i did was a wiper change but actually flooded the cap top with cleanning solution.. then i held the door switch in and hit enter and watched my capping station seal the head and i turned main power off waited 20 did a power clean ,regular clean then a medium clean and here are the results....thanks again everyone ...and do you think the rest of the nozzles will clean up?

Last edited: