• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Roland Versacamm VS-640 - Won't fully boot up (Stuck on start-up screen)

Premier Grafix

Hi guys,

I have searched for hours with no answers to my problem, so I'm hoping someone could shed some light on the issue I have suddenly encountered with my VS-640. Any info, or possible things to try to diagnose the problem is much appreciated.

Here is what I am experiencing...

When I turn on the printer the screen lights up displaying 'Roland DG Corp. VS-640' with the power button blinking slowly.
There is a short delay and I can then hear the fan running and it is stuck at this stage and does not complete the bootup. (there are no other noises or movement)

Non of the buttons on the control panel are responsive, I then have to switch the power off by the power switch at the back.
I have tried this many times with no success. I have also turned the power off at the mains to see if this resets anything.

Note: I have experienced this same problem once in a blue moon in the past, and a switch off at the mains for a minute or so resolved the problem.

As an observation I have noticed I can still see a green light on the board above the printhead.

I have figured out I can get the printer to boot up fully by going into the service mode.

One thing to note is when I switch the printer on into service mode, the first thing it asks me is to 'Setup Sheet', although I already have media in there.
But as soon as I lift the roller pinchers and lower them again, it proceeds and completes the start up, printhead does its thing, the vacuum fans kick in etc.

I am also able to complete a successful print in the service mode.
One more thing to note is, I cannot feel any heat on the front plate, I'm not sure if this is an issue or the heaters just simply don't come on in service mode?

After a successful start-up in services mode, I have restarted the printer to come out of service mode and again normal boot-up gets stuck on start-up

So the confusing thing to me is... If there is something failing and stopping the printer from booting up, why can it still boot in service mode and print perfectly fine???
The printer do not display any errors whilst its starting up and whilst running in service mode.

Thanks in advance!

MrDav3C

I wonder if a cable has worked loose somewhere? This could explain why at first the problem was intermittent and has now became permanent.

I would start by checking, swapping and replacing all cables and fuses.

Perhaps the thread below may be useful?

Premier Grafix

I wonder if a cable has worked loose somewhere? This could explain why at first the problem was intermittent and has now became permanent.

I would start by checking, swapping and replacing all cables and fuses.

Perhaps the thread below may be useful?

Hi MrDav3C,

Thanks for your input... Yeah, I will check the cables first just to make sure but what confuses me is, it will start up in service mode and I can complete a print without issues. (Apart from the fact there is no heater, but I'm not sure if this is normal whilst in service mode).

Does anyone know if the heaters pre-heat and function in service mode?
Could a heater related problem stop the printer from booting up?

damonCA21

The setup sheet message in service mode is normal, also the heaters don't come on in service mode.
The non starting in normal mode is likely down to a failed main board or servo board, both are weak points on the VS series printers

Premier Grafix

The setup sheet message in service mode is normal, also the heaters don't come on in service mode.
The non starting in normal mode is likely down to a failed main board or servo board, both are weak points on the VS series printers
Hi DamonCA21

Thanks for confirming the Setup Sheet and Heater in service mode! At least I know that isn’t the cause.

To throw the spanner in the works I went to go and take another look and check for loose or damaged cables after the advice from MrDav3C. But I thought I’d give it another try and switch it on, and to my surprise it started up successfully in normal mode for the first time in 3 days.

I did originally have a suspicion about temperatures the other day after reading about the minimum operating temperature. It had been pretty cold the last few days (UK) and the workshop has likely been around or a bit colder than 16 Degrees Celsius first thing in the morning.

I thought maybe this could have been the cause and upset the printer. Today it’s been quite a bit warmer and I’ve left the heating on over the weekend, and surprise, surprise it’s come on.

The only thing that throws me about this theory is I don’t get the low temperature error.

To eliminate the temp being the culprit I will continue to keep the heating on over night and monitor the room temperature in the morning before I switch her on again.

MrDav3C

Didn't realise you are also in the UK but glad to hear this is working again for now!

I can recommend a pretty good print technician if you need one?

damonCA21

It could be temperature related. If there is a bad connection on the PCB sometimes very cold weather can cause them to shrink enough to disconnect, and when it warms up it makes contact. Very annoying to diagnose as it is so variable!

Premier Grafix

Hmmm yeah I see what your saying!

Well last night I left it in sleep mode rather than turning it off, I’ve kept the workshop warm and it’s woke up fine this morning. I just need to get a few urgent jobs printed off before I do turn it off just in case.

I will continue to keep the room up to a reasonable temp to see if it still refuses to start up the following morning and go from there.

Thanks for your input so far guys, I will post an update when I know more!

It could be temperature related. If there is a bad connection on the PCB sometimes very cold weather can cause them to shrink enough to disconnect, and when it warms up it makes contact. Very annoying to diagnose as it is so variable