• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland VersaCamm VS-640i constantly running out of yellow ink

TheHam

Hello,
After the holidays I have a problem with the yellow ink. In the test print, all colours print well, only yellow prints a little brighter. After 10 to 20 cm, the yellow becomes very bright. After cleaning, the yellow channel is empty. I have already changed the damper, but the result is the same. But the damper was only about half full. Yellow colour can be seen in the cap top. I did manual cleaning and even flushed the head. Unfortunately, none of this had any effect. Is it possible that the print head needs to be changed? Thank's for your suggestions.

Zoogee World

Domed Promotional Product Supplier
Have you tried changing the cartridge(s) to see if that has any effect? Unlikely, but there is a chance it could be the cap top not sealing completely. Those 2 would be your cheapest options. Also which ink configuration do you have?

TheHam

Hi,
thanks for your ideas. The configuration is CMYKLcLmLkMt. The cap top would be a cheap solutions but it looks like there is not enough ink coming true. What would you do? 1) Change ink cartridge 2) replace cap top and 3) replace print head. Can you think of any other problem it could be?

Zoogee World

The reason ink may not be coming through could be due to the cap top not sealing well. I'd change the cartridge first just to confirm that isn't the issue, then if it persist, I'd change the cap top. From what you describe, it sounds like ink starvation, if you've already change the damper without success, then those 2 would be my next things to do. Typically if it's the head, it would be a consistent non come and go and if the test print shows all good, it certainly isn't the head. If you try both of those options and neither are successful, my next point to look at would be to see if there is a air leak in the yellow line.

cornholio

I had cases with crystallisation of the yellow ink. In this case I flushed the yellow ink line with cleaning solution, replaced the yellow cartridge and replaced the damper.

TheHam

OK, I have replaced the cap top and the cartridge. Now the yellow channel does not print at all but in the cap top I can see a clear yellow line so it is sucking yellow ink. Also on the left side of the cap top there was also yellow ink. I do not know how to flush the yellow ink line. Should I just exchange the head now?

Zoogee World

You can try to exchange the head, but I don't believe the head is your issue if you were getting a clean nozzle test prior. Sounds like ink starvation. How does the yellow ink line look, is it filled?

TheHam

You can try to exchange the head, but I don't believe the head is your issue if you were getting a clean nozzle test prior. Sounds like ink starvation. How does the yellow ink line look, is it filled?
yes, nicely yellow, The head also is very new, would be a shame.

TheHam

OK it was the head. Now the printing is good. I have only a problem with the top cap. It looks like it is to high and when I lower the head position it gives a motor error. What have I done wrong?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I would do a damper swap at this point. Just switch the yellow damper with another color, run a cleaning and see what you get. If the yellow continues to not print in the new spot, you have some sort of ink flow issue above the head. If the yellow prints fine but the new color in the old yellow spot doesn't print well, the head is probably fried.

TheHam

OK, thanks for all the help. I have adjusted the screws under the cap top, now everything looks like it works fine. So I have a new cap top, new dampers, a new yellow cartridge and a new head. Expensive but it prints like new again. When I have problems with this machine it is always the yellow. Strange.