• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Roland VG2-640 Scan Interval not working properly?

maddiev

I'm trying to set a scan interval so I can give a large wrap print more time to dry before it gets to the takeup roll. I printed a small color swatch this morning and the scan interval worked as expected, with the printhead stopping between each pass. But when I went to print the full wrap file, it started printing it as though the scan interval is set to off, with no delay at all between passes. I used the same rip software and media profile settings for both the test print and the full print. The only difference between the two files is the size. Can anyone help me figure out how to fix this?

FrankW

Have you set the scan interval in the software, or the printer? Could be that a software setting overwrite the printer setting.

maddiev

Have you set the scan interval in the software, or the printer? Could be that a software setting overwrite the printer setting.
I set it in the printer itself. If there is a way to change that setting in VersaWorks, I'm not sure how to do so.

Zoogee World

Domed Promotional Product Supplier
I've never used that feature before, until you mentioned it, I didn't even know it existed. Is it meant to be used to take breaks between passes? I can't seem to find any information on it online. I might suggest upping your heat settings to help compensate. You could also try a different profile that isn't as ink heavy with higher heat settings which may help it dry quicker if you can't get the scan interval thing to work.

maddiev

I've never used that feature before, until you mentioned it, I didn't even know it existed. Is it meant to be used to take breaks between passes? I can't seem to find any information on it online. I might suggest upping your heat settings to help compensate. You could also try a different profile that isn't as ink heavy with higher heat settings which may help it dry quicker if you can't get the scan interval thing to work.
Yes, it's meant to pause between passes for however many seconds you have it set for. I only discovered it recently myself. It's found in Menu > Sub Menu > Scan Interval on the printer. I have this media set for the highest heat that the printer will go to, and I'm using the profile specific to the media I'm using (Avery Dennison MPI 1105). It prints just fine, the issue is that when it gets to the take-up roll, for darker colors with more ink, some of the ink rubs off onto the backing of the material as it rolls onto itself...if that makes sense. Like, it's not fully dry by the time it gets to the roll, so it then sticks to the backing a bit and gets a little splotchy looking as a result. Light colors don't have the same issue, since there's less ink. My prints are fine if I don't put them on the take-up roll, as they don't have the opportunity to rub off on the backing, but for really long wrap prints I'd like to be able to put it on the roll and not have to keep such a close eye on it while I do other production work.

Zoogee World

I understand the issue. I don't have a take-up roll, but I've experience similar issues with just the sheets dropping one on top of the other and rubbing off a little. But as Frank mentioned, maybe Versaworks is overriding it somehow, not sure if there is a setting or not, I'll try to do a little searching on my end too. Stupid question, but you made sure all the exact same settings were selected from the sample strip to the full print?

FrankW

I currently dont have a versaworks installed, so I´m not shure where exactly to do that. There is a tab in the job properties with several machine settings like temperature of the heaters and so on, and anywhere there perhaps. But shure in the media manager, there you can change the setting in the media profile you use.

maddiev

I understand the issue. I don't have a take-up roll, but I've experience similar issues with just the sheets dropping one on top of the other and rubbing off a little. But as Frank mentioned, maybe Versaworks is overriding it somehow, not sure if there is a setting or not, I'll try to do a little searching on my end too. Stupid question, but you made sure all the exact same settings were selected from the sample strip to the full print?
Yes, the settings between my test print and full print are identical as far as I'm aware. It's possible thee's some hidden setting I don't know about but as far as the settings that I put in, they're all the same.

Zoogee World

That is very strange then. Just for shits and giggles, try a in between size print, just to see if you still get it working with a bit bigger print. Just maybe, but it could be due to the size of the print and maybe on larger prints it does that scan only at certain increments. Just a thought though, as I truly have no idea why one would work and the other won't, if all the settings are the same.

On my Mimaki if I set the interval too high it'll just ignore it. You can increase printing time if you set your print head speed to low / use unidirectional / higher step count.

Zoogee World

On my Mimaki if I set the interval too high it'll just ignore it. You can increase printing time if you set your print head speed to low / use unidirectional / higher step count.
Yes, that is very good advice.