• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Roland XF-640 vs Roland EJ-640

Classic1935

Hello,

we looking to purchase two used Roland ecosolvent machines. We looking for XF-640 or EJ-640 (newer model), but no one can't tell us what is the real difference between them.
Anybody know a bit more about it?

Thank's!

Z.

StephenOrange

Eater of cake. Maker of .
At a quick glance it looks like the main difference is the large capacity ink bays, which can hold up to 2.22 litres per colour in CMYK. It can also be configured for light colours, which my XFs can’t do. I also think you get some tech extras like being able to connect with Roland’s iPad software, but I have limited knowledge on that. I’m very, very happy with the XFs, so you should be fine with whichever version fits your pocket. They both print the same and are the same machine essentially.

Classic1935

Hi,

Thank's about your replay. We need cmyk only and the bulk system will be installed in any case. iPad software and similar solutions are unimportant to us. We just need reliable and simple machines with normal speed to replace our two SJ-645EX. Always in pair.

V. V.

Inkjet printing guru
real difference between them
Well, the most important is following:
EJ's media feed bar is thicker that XF's
XF has a torsion problem especially when printing with high speed
At the carriage side it can be all right but at the left there will be overlap between passes and it's UNFIXABLE
That's why roland released EJ series shortly after XF was introduced
The rest isn't that important

cornholio

The main difference is the ink type and bulk ink system.
XF's were discontinued because of banding problems. (At least in Europe)
Don't buy XF's, if you need bandingfree quality. The EJ's have some enhancements to remedy these problems.
We converted a EJ to a sublimation bulk ink system and the customer printed over 150000 SQM with it in speedy 4pass mode and it's still works great.

Classic1935

Hi!

Thank's for yours answers. Banding at high speed is a big issue already at old Soljet's. And there isn't any high speed really. For example; on SJproII-645-ex you have no chance to print first half of sa film 64" roll in a high speed mode without banding. An yes, the right at the capping station is perfect, but not left side.
So the XF have still the same problem.

Thank you all!

Z.