• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ronan Aquacote on glass and automotive paint

Chuck Peterson

I have been using Aquacote for a couple of years now on wood signs, metal, plastic, etc., but am having a little trouble lately using it on glass. It seems to scratch off easily but maybe after curing a couple of weeks it will be OK. I have not been able to give it that test yet. The same on automotive paint. I wanted to use it on an old truck to simulate a faded, aged look but it seemed to scratch off too easily. Again, I wasn't able to give it a test after curing and didn't want to do a test on a customer's truck. I put some tests on my van roof yesterday.

Does anyone have experience with this?

OldPaint

PERPETRATION IS 95% of the job when painting WITH ANY PAINT.
if you dont do that right ........any paint will peel.

Chuck Peterson

Yes, prep is of utmost importance. I scuff and prep well. My main question is about the curing time. Most paints will scratch easily before cured. Curing time is different for water base paints. I've had water base paints come off when water is allowed to puddle on them after 2 days. After a few more days they are OK. Aquacote is new to me.

Chuck Peterson

I guess my real question is:

On a well prepped surface, glass or automotive paint, does completely cured Aquacote, say, after two weeks, have good adhesion to those surfaces?

I have no problems on plastic, painted wood or any other sign substrate.

Thanks.