• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ronan Aquacote

weaselboogie

I recently discovered a project that I had planned on repainting with the Ronan Paint line has previously been painted with latex. The boards are a couple of years old, paint has faded, but otherwise in great condition.

Instead of painting with the Ronan Bulletin and lettering enamels, I was planning on using Ronan's Bulletin Aquacote line. Wondering if anyone has had any experience with this line from Ronan?

"[SIZE=-1]Aquacote is a waterborne, low odor, high gloss, solid covering, acrylic Bulletin Enamel formulated for graphic arts and maintenance applications. It is lead free, fast drying, easy brushing, environmentally friendly, VOC compliant and easy clean up. It produces a durable, flexible, weather resistant finish and exhibits excellent adhesion to wood, steel, concrete, galvanized metal, aluminum and treated or untreated vinyl. It is recommended for painting backgrounds, lettering copy and graphics on signs, outdoor advertising billboards, metal highway signs, commercial signs and vinyl banners. Metal structures must be primed with Ronan Prime Lock DTM Primer.
Dry Time: @ 70 F. and 50% Relative Humidity: Dries to touch - 30 minutes; to handle - 2 hours; to recoat - 8 hours. Will take longer to dry under colder or more humid conditions. Wait 8 hours before rolling or folding vinyl signs.
Application Method: Brush, roll or spray."[/SIZE]
gino.gif

Jillbeans

I've used it and it was great.
Providing they haven't changed their formula since 2002.
I had a bunch left over from a meet and had a job that week, on an oil tanker (stainless)
I used the white, using a Foamie of all things, and it looks as good today as it did in 2002
It was thinner than regular oil based bulleting enamel and I had to double-coat.
Then I outlined it with regular lettering enamel.
Very fast drying and durable stuff if you ask me.
Love....jill

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I don't have a lot of experience with the water based Ronan, but I have used it.

As for refurbishing with latex paints, like with your house, front porch, other home painted projects...... or any other project concerning latex, I've always been told to go down to bare wood and start over from scratch.

The sign is only gonna be a strong as its weakest point, so don't let any bad paint remain on the sign. Basically, it would almost in most cases, be more profitable for everyone involved to just start with new material and forget about refurbishing, unless this is a relief sign.

weaselboogie

I've used it and it was great.
Providing they haven't changed their formula since 2002.
I had a bunch left over from a meet and had a job that week, on an oil tanker (stainless)
I used the white, using a Foamie of all things, and it looks as good today as it did in 2002
It was thinner than regular oil based bulleting enamel and I had to double-coat.
Then I outlined it with regular lettering enamel.
Very fast drying and durable stuff if you ask me.
Love....jill

That sounds great Jill. Impressed that aquacoat worked on metal... without a prime?

weaselboogie

Here's the plan... The billboard is out by the highway and the smaller sign is by the main entrance road. The billboard sign is in great shape. Whoever did it the first time knew what they were doing because they painted all edges and even the backside of each panel. The paint is in excellent condition minus the fade, but will still do some light sanding over the whole panel to make sure everything is in good shape. That's a good thing because those panels would have been a mother to replace.

Attachments

• yaggis.jpg
    yaggis.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 206

bjones

I used it on some red cedar signs CNC'd and painted with ronan paints.. stuff took 3 weeks almost to cure and lose a white haze it developed but once it did it's been tough as nails ever since.

Craig Sjoquist

Yes I use it all the time. I like how it works as lettering as a water base paint better then other water base paint like house paint and even a little better then theater paint gloss closest I've found.
A job I used the most on was the Mc Donald's on I drive here in Orlando for the inside walls of lettering done several years ago still looking like done yesterday and have even had to touch up areas because of remodeling same colors match and gloss.

Biggest problem is outdoors ...it fades fast ... needs to be clear coated with UV Aquathane from Ronan and works well, on back grounds I try house paint unless can not get color need.
It also paints and holds well over enamel .. big plus..

Jillbeans

Yes no primer, I was really facing a tight deadline that day.
I had given my only can of white lettering enamel to a sign pal and I didn't realize it was my last can.
I was about a week out of a meet hosting 250 people and a year of planning on very little sleep and was about 75% dead.
So I tried the Aquacoat and it worked.
(most of the rest of that day was bad, I dropped a can of black 1S on the bed of that truck, luckily it was a black bed and I had just enough rags and paper towels to take care of the spill)

Freehandan

I hate spills!!
A note... No matter what the undercoat, a good brush-on will scrub the surface as to anchor the new coat of paint. A lot of it is about technique and intention as well. That will translate through to your work. I have used an interior, flat, orange acrylic cheap house paint on an outside wall with no primer and double coated over a dark green wall, and it lasted better than the exterior grade acrylics I have used. In color and deterioration of finish. Sometimes I will use any paint I can. Usually I do not have problems, even in the Florida sun.