• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Rounded Vinyl Edge?

thesignpad

Saw something odd the other day on a Fire Truck that had digitally printed reflective vinyl graphics on it.

The vinyl appeared to have a "round" contour right at the edge, I can't for the life of me figure out how this would be done. Is it a special blade when contour cutting that "rounds" the edge of the vinyl? The fire departments wash their vehicles all the time, so need to have this profile to stop the graphics from lifting.

You have a "square" edge on all vinyl cut on a regular cutter (or contour cut on a regular digital printer) but these appeared to have a round contour.

I've seen those "edge sealing pens"but I don't think that is what this would have been as you would have seen it.

Any ideas? Anyone ever seen something like this?

AUTO-FX

Welcome to the show!
I saw graphics on a helicopter I swore were cut vinyl and clearcoated. Appeared as you describe. Turns out they had been stencil sprayed and clearcoated. Could this be the case?

Edit: Oh, I misunderstood. I agree, thermal die cut.

Last edited:

thesignpad

So are there such things as "thermal die cut" digitally printed decals? What I mean is these ones I saw are a fairly custom decals / stripes etc. Is that something possible to do with a thermal die cut? Or do you have to make a specific die each time?

Does anyone know where I can see a closeup of a thermal die cut edge to compare?

What would you suggest for something like this if thermal die cutting wasn't an option?