• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Router not going to full depth

homa

Hi,

I have a problem with an AXYZ 5012 router, when I run my job the final pass in .020 inch from the bottom of the material. I've tried changing the number of passes and increasing the depth to compensate but it still stops shy of going through.

Anyone have an idea?

Thanks

Z SIGNS

Could be many things

As a signtist you have to do some Troubleshooting

The same could be said about all equipment and operations in a sign shop

Unlike printers these machines are pretty simple and usually do what there told to do.

When I am cutting all the way through I usually go at least .06 and cut into a sacrificial sheet.

First thing I would look at is the toolpathing.Is it correct?

Is it operator error ?

Forgot to zero properly?
Zeroed from the bottom and should have done top?
Wrong bit for the job?
Is the table not flat?

Is there something wrong with the machine like a loose spindle?
Does the machine ever have a problem cutting within .020 ?
Did you first check all the obvious?
This list could go on and on and on.

Hope this helps and you solve your problem

homa

Tried many things

Hi, thanks for the input,

I tried several things including increasing the depth and the number of passes, re-initializing the z-axis in different places, putting the bit out further from the collet, all to no success.

Are you zeroed from a table or from top of the material.
if table probe your spoil board.
if top of the material measure you material.
Check for a backlash on Z axis.

homa

zeroing

The machine is equipped with a z sensor that automatically sets the zero from the top of the material, we use a digital caliper to measure the thickness and determine how far we'll go into the spoil board. The material is .368 aluminum and I started by setting the depth to .370 which would work perfectly under normal circumstances, when it didn't cut though (the cut was .344 deep) I tried it at .400 but the final pass was at exactly the same depth.

homa

Problem solved

Not sure how but as mysteriously as it came it has now left.

Thanks for all the input.