• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Routing ACM

mbarden

Hi Everyone,
We've had our F1612 for about a year now and it has been quite alearning experience. We've run accross a problem recently that has me a ltille perplexed. We seem to be going through coated router bits like crazy when routing .118 ACM. We can get through a hole sheet of easy shapes and then the edges will get very sharp and rough. We are using the Summa D6/4 upcut coated bit and they don't weem to be lasting very long. Suggestions?
Thanks Much.
MB

JBurton

Signtologist
How fast are you cutting and at what RPM?
Those tools are overpriced, if they are in fact 3 for $240. I spend about $25 on 'high end' belin bits, for aluminum and acm.

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
Do you have the standard or HF router system? If you have the standard routing system, what diameter collet are you using?

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Airmark Corporation
(800)527-7778, ext. 112
philj@airmark.com

CanuckSigns

Hi Everyone,
We've had our F1612 for about a year now and it has been quite alearning experience. We've run accross a problem recently that has me a ltille perplexed. We seem to be going through coated router bits like crazy when routing .118 ACM. We can get through a hole sheet of easy shapes and then the edges will get very sharp and rough. We are using the Summa D6/4 upcut coated bit and they don't weem to be lasting very long. Suggestions?
Thanks Much.
MB
Vibrations are a killer for router bits. I had a similar issue with our 1612 going through router bits too quickly. We recently switched from using the foam routing mat to using 6mm thick MDF, and the vacuum table pulls even better through it and cuts down on the vibrations and moving parts, and as a nice added side effect, our router bits are lasting 3-4 times longer than they used to. I just cut 4 full sheets worth of 12"x2" rectangles from 3mm acm with a single bit.

Also, don't buy summa bits, they are stupid expensive, just buy good quality bits, I use betterbits.ca if you are in Canada.

Signsfyi

Tell us more about your strategy. What is your chip load setup? How many passes? Bit life and quality of cut depends on these things.