• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Routing TREX

Barry Jenicek

Have any of you routed the decking material called TREX?

I am going to be using a “V” groove bit to carve the clients name into it. Once I have that, I will be painting the incised text.

Naturally, using a paint mask on the substrate before carving would greatly speed up the painting process, however I have reservations on how well the mask would hold up as the bit is cutting. I envision the mask becoming jagged as it is cut.

So, my questions are these...

What type of paint mask have you used?

Any special application of the mask to the TREX? (To prevent a jagged edge of the mask and to prevent paint from creeping under the mask

Any advice on
Speed,
Depth per pass,
Degree of bit,
Fonts to avoid,
Type of Paint to use,
Whatever else you can think of ???​

Thanks in advance

Barry
Signs by Unique

petrosgraphics

have not used trex, is the surface smooth? is there a grain like texture?

* if it is smooth, carve the letters with your router, then cut mask 1/16 - 1/8"

* larger than your letters, apply mask (cover background) and paint letters.

* get a sample piece and try this, it may just work.

The trex has a texture to it, it's going to be tuff to get the paint mask into that texture to keep the paint from seeping. Might be better off using a cast vinyl and heating it up. Then you can use like a roller to get it down in that texture better.

TimToad

I have used regular GerberMask on smooth or pre-painted surfaces with outstanding results. I've literally knocked hours off the typical tedious painting time of a complex job if you're working with just a single background color and the infill color. The fraying and seepage was not an issue at all.

A cast vinyl will work well for a very lightly textured or slightly irregular surface, and a product like Spraylat/Protectapeel/Signstrip could work depending on how well it would stick to the Trex. Haven't tried it, but if you have some around, it might worth a shot.

Any other old timers remember the days of shooting clear plex/lexan faces with Spraylat and handcutting in reverse for spraying on the inside to create illuminated faces?

player

Any other old timers remember the days of shooting clear plex/lexan faces with Spraylat and handcutting in reverse for spraying on the inside to create illuminated faces?

I am still waiting for the cancer to set in...

CES020

We loved Spraylat. We didn't use it a lot, but loved their Series 20 line. We were really disappointed when we went to order some a while back and were told "SprayLat was bought by Matthews and they are shutting it down for the most part".

We were told Matthews bought them to acquire some of their product line and they would be discontinuing the products that they didn't have any interest in.

DizzyMarkus

Please be aware there is a "sealer" for the ends and any open cuts 0) Trex is weather on outside not inside -- ask the lumber yard. Oh and it chips super easy :0)

Markus

synergy_jim

feeds and speeds need to be calculated based on the bit. I would treat it like running soft plastic.

For example.

I would V groove HDPE using a 1/4" 45 greg bit @ 300ipm @ 18,000 rpms. Those speeds I would cut 1/2 the depth and then run a finish pass.

I can imagine why any outdoor latex wouldn't work. If you need to mask, try liquid mask. You spray on, let dry, then groove the wood. Paint the relief, then peel the liquid mask off.

SignManiac

You need to test the paint on a sample. Trex if I'm not mistaken, is a recycled plastic material. Not all paint sticks well to raw plastic. Krylon fusion might do the trick as it's made for plastic. If not, a primer coat and then you might be able to use any other paint type on it. You really have do some test pieces in my opinion.

John L

Beware Sometimes trex has voids inside it. If you have a piece with the texture and you dfont want that, you can do a pocket strategy with a flat bottom end mill bit or surfacing bit first to smooth it before the V carve. You can smooth the whole face or just a contour outline around your words. Then you can mask and carve. I have had success with just coating Trex and other plastic materials with a few coats of rubber cement as a paint mask. Then V carve through it. After paint it just rolls right off most materials.