• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Runninh Thrive 642

Ditchmiester

I just bought the upgrade to thrive and was wondering if I should build a stand alone rip server or if I can use my everyday machine. I will be running 2 HP L260 and have one person running each printer.

My current comp has the following specs

I7 Sandy Bridge
16 gb ram
120gb ssd with 2tb seagate Sshd
Gtx 260 but going to upgrade to nvidia quadro k4000

My worry is that my current computer will get bogged down from running both printers and my programs will suffer. I run autocad and a cad cam software that is pretty GPU intensive. Along with Corel and Ai and I'm starting some video editing and rendering as well.

danno

Have you thought about investing a small sum in a print forwarding machine for each your L260's? My RIP station does just that, RIP. I send jobs to all the printers in the shop that have their own dummy station until I tell them to print. Makes my life easier.

Ditchmiester

Have you thought about investing a small sum in a print forwarding machine for each your L260's? My RIP station does just that, RIP. I send jobs to all the printers in the shop that have their own dummy station until I tell them to print. Makes my life easier.

Do you mean just have a single comp for each printer?

FatCat

We run Wasatch on one quad core AMD which runs 2 Mutoh printers and contour cuts on our Summa. All it does is RIP and send cut files to the Summa - it does't do anything else. I would highly suggest having a RIP only box and a separate computer for design/admin/email, etc.

danno

Yes, just a basic machine for each printer. Some bare bones unit that doesn't actually do the processing. All it will do is hold the job until you tell it to print. I have 3 machines set up that way at the moment. 2 HP9000s and 1 L26500. Can't rotate the banner for the L26500, but we developed an easy work around. I also RIP to a LX800, FB700 and Canon iPF9000. The Canon is the only machine that doesn't have a designated pc. It does have an internal HDD for holding it's own jobs.

Ditchmiester

Okay. I think I have my answer. I'm going to build a new rip center and use that to hold and run all of thrive and then use two lesser computer to run each printer. Hopefully I can get this all set up before Wednesday when they come do the install of the new printer and training on thrive.

Bly

I'm not sure how Thrive differs from Production House but we have one rip computer to run 4 printers and it copes well.
The only intensive processing it does it when it rips the files.
After that's done it basically just spools the data out to the printers.
Ours can rip two files at a time.

Nishan

Yes, just a basic machine for each printer. Some bare bones unit that doesn't actually do the processing. All it will do is hold the job until you tell it to print. I have 3 machines set up that way at the moment. 2 HP9000s and 1 L26500. Can't rotate the banner for the L26500, but we developed an easy work around. I also RIP to a LX800, FB700 and Canon iPF9000. The Canon is the only machine that doesn't have a designated pc. It does have an internal HDD for holding it's own jobs.
Hi,
Can you tell me how you do this. I understand the method... just what software are you using to buffer the print file between the printer and computer.

Regards
Nishan

danno

Onyx will sell a print only key. I have a RIP station that sends jobs to 6 printers. All printers have their own computer. You will print forward from the main RIP to the designated print station. I can RIP 3 jobs at once. With it forwarding jobs and not holding the job on the main machine to print, I don't have to worry about using all the resources of the RIP to print also. We are currently running Production House 10. We will be looking at Thrive when our rush season is over.