• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

S2 vs Summa Cut

daenterpri

Hello Folks!

I've had a Summa Cut D140R for the last 2 years. It's been great but over the last few months it's had some issues that tech support has had a hard time diagnosing. We've replaced the main board and they've had me try several things. Anyways, they now want me to send it in for diagnosis and repairs. The problem is, I can't be without a cutter for 1.5 weeks as 95% of our work is decals. And shipping loaner machines back and forth isn't exactly cheap either. Anyways, I'm wondering if now is the time to trade in on an S2. Here are my questions:

• As most of our work is decal work, would you say the S2 is worth it?
  • What will I or wont I appreciate about it the most?
  • Is the tangential head worth it?
  • Is the camera any better on the S2 than the SummaCut?
  • Should I just save the money by just fixing my SummaCut?

Tell me what I need to know folks! And thanks for your help!

FrankW

With the S2, you would have a lot of things the SummaCut don't offer:

• Big screen with shortcuts to all important functionality from the home screen (instead of scrolling through a menu), e. g. speed, pressure, user configuration, origin etc.
  • 8 free nameable user configurations (instead of 4 "user 1" to "user 4")
  • Network Interface
  • USB A-Port to plot plt-files from an USB-Stick
  • automatic cut off feature
  • a basket which will collapse completely to the stand (instead of having either the basket or the basket rods in the way)
  • An OPOS Sensor which will be lowered and raised through head mechanics instead of the need to run the head to plastic parts on the left or right side of the cutting area
  • optional media rack or motorized take-up
  • Possibility to add additonal pinch rollers in the field
  • about 20A% more maximum axial speed
  • and more

Now you need to decide if it's worth for you.

Most people I know buy S-Classes with tangential head. You will not see big differences in regular cutting as long as you don't cut very small objects or thicker media, FlexCut or the knife is not in good condition anymore.

The OPOS-Sensor is the same on the SummaCut and S-Class. Optional you could buy a camera marker registration system for the S2, but you need to pay additional money for more speed, but less functionality. For example OPOS Barcode is not possible with OPOS-Cam.

daenterpri

Thanks for your help!

Does the S2 have any benefit in the area of lining up the media?
Does the mechanical Opus sensor mean that it's a little faster and has less chance of getting hung up by the media? (catching an edge)

Lastly, I'm trying to decide between the 54" and 64" model. There has only been one time that I've ever needed to cut 60" material, and we were able to remedy the problem. Best to save the $1000 and buy the 54"?

FrankW

Does the S2 have any benefit in the area of lining up the media?

The guaranteed repeatability of the S-Class is 12m for a media width of up to 760mm ... SummaCut 8m only. And there is a possibility to add a motorized take-up-units which can be used when doing internal panelling for example.

Does the mechanical Opus sensor mean that it's a little faster and has less chance of getting hung up by the media? (catching an edge)

The name of the system is OPOS, Optical POsitioning System, not Optical PUsitioning System.

And yes.

Lastly, I'm trying to decide between the 54" and 64" model. There has only been one time that I've ever needed to cut 60" material, and we were able to remedy the problem. Best to save the $1000 and buy the 54"?

I can't do any suggestion on that. But: you can cut 54"-media on a 64"-model too, but not the other way round.

daenterpri

Thanks again. Haha, and thanks for the correction.

Last thing - I was told that SummaCut can do the barcode system. Is that true? Seems like the S2 would do this better since the OPOS sensor is mechanical.

Thanks!

ProColorGraphics

I had the summacut first, then upgraded to the s class. Although the summacut was still better an the Graphtec I had, in my opinion, the s class was well worth the money!! There is a very good reason it costs twice as much and it is well worth it!!it is way faster, and more accurate. It is also built a lot more heavy duty. I highly recommend the s class!