• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Scan Motor Error? Printer currently dead in the water

Bryce I

I'm Brie
Thanks I'll try that now. It says Move To Cap Position. I slide it home, hear the click. At this point I can still slide it the other way, but I don't. Then I press enter. Then it says Setting Up The Limit. Now it's locked in position. I can feel it. I press enter. You can see the carriage begin to move. it goes a couple inches and then says Position Invalid Out Of Range. When this error appears the carriage is no longer connected to its home position, and the cut and print carriages are connected to each other

Fantazia

Our old Roland XC-540 is giving an error notification every time I hit setup. SCAN MOTOR ERROR CODE: 0080 0080.

Tried a limit initialization. No changes. I tried to slide the carriage across with my hand, and while I could move it, it feels like there's way more resistance than usual.
Any thoughts?
Did you try encoder check from service menu?

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
Were you able to lock the head in place and "Intialize the limit"? You know the carriage is locked when you cannot push it to the left. Only then can you go to the next step...

ssdap

Our old Roland XC-540 is giving an error notification every time I hit setup. SCAN MOTOR ERROR CODE: 0080 0080.

Tried a limit initialization. No changes. I tried to slide the carriage across with my hand, and while I could move it, it feels like there's way more resistance than usual.
Any thoughts?
Hi Bryce
In our experience error 0040 is the scan motor - in our case we needed to replace it - easy enough job, but the scan the scan motor is not cheap.
Once we replaced the scan motor error 0080 then came up - this is a voltage error - which in turn means there is drag on the scan motor.
Solutions are 2 fold: 1, Lubricate your carriage bearing with a light oil, also give the rail they sit in a really good clean and lube. Run the carriages, (printing and cutting), back and forth on the rail several times to get the lube oil into the bearings, then run the "limit initialisation" set up.
This may not work first time - We had be quite heavy on the the amount of lube and leave over night, clean up excess oil, then re-run the "limit initialisation". We had success at this point.
If this does not work, it will probably be your linear bearings on the cutting and/or printer carriage which will need replaced - this can be around £100 / $110 for each bearing.

DAVID MARSHALL

From painful experience, when Roland printers are throwing cascading errors for no obvious reason the first place to start is to power the printer down using the main switch, turn it off at the wall, unplug it and have at least two beers. After that, plus it in, turn on the power at the wall, turn on the main switch and then boot it up like normal. Let us all know if that fixed it.

cornholio

You asked, what to order.
I'd take the two pulleys and the belt and also the plasic gear. I had to finally replace it on a XR (newer model, but same scan axis mechanics)
I replaced the motor and sensors first.
I almost went crazy, diagnosing this problem and needed to visit this customer a couple of times.
The carriages moved smoothly and I couldn't imagine, what caused the errors.
After replacing the belt and pulleys, it worked again.
Later, when I had a similar case on another XR, I put a little Teflon spray on the belt. This helped for a couple of years, before I had to replace belt and pulleys.

By the way, you don't need to do a limit position init when replacing a motor.
But it doesn't hurt, when done right...
I've done it many times with customers over the phone, when their carriage crashed into something.