• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Screenprint and Embroidery Shop... gcc Puma IV, looking to get into printed stickers!

GarageShirtsInk

So this is a very general post but I have some specific questions...

My name is Jordan and I own a screenprint and embroidery shop in Fort Myers FL. We have been in business for about 10 years now. Not a huge shop but we have a manual press, a Workhorse Auto press and a 4 head Tajima.

That being said, I started with a GCC Puma III about 13 years ago cutting and selling single color decals on Etsy. Machine was great, ended up breaking it (100% my fault) so I got a GCC Puma IV. Again, this works great for single color stickers but I would like to utilize the machine to more of its potential.

This is what I have questions about... I would like to do printed stickers. Not MASS produce them but if a customer needed 20-100 stickers it would be nice to be able to offer that service to them.

- What printer would be needed that can take a 24" roll and print on vinyl sticker media?
- I have always used Oracal 651 for all our single color decals, is this media printable?
- Suggestions on a 24-30" laminator? I know stickers can be printed and cut without lamination, but being in SWFL the UV is pretty brutal and it would be nice to protect the customers stickers.
- I work out of Adobe Illustrator and currently use Sure Cuts A Lot bridge for single color decals.... This kinda doesnt seem like it will offer me everything I need for printing stickers on one machine, laminating them on another, and then finally cutting them on the Puma IV, but I honestly have no idea and could be wrong.

I know the simple thing to do would be to just get a Roland SG3-540 and a 54GFP laminator, but I would like to try to utilize the cutter I have now to decide if its even something we should even offer. I apologize for this post kinda being all over the place but as I mentioned, I dont really know what I am looking for.

All your help is appreciated! I you have questions on screenpritning or embroidery please ask away and Ill help if I can!

- Jordan

WBS

So this is a very general post but I have some specific questions...

My name is Jordan and I own a screenprint and embroidery shop in Fort Myers FL. We have been in business for about 10 years now. Not a huge shop but we have a manual press, a Workhorse Auto press and a 4 head Tajima.

That being said, I started with a GCC Puma III about 13 years ago cutting and selling single color decals on Etsy. Machine was great, ended up breaking it (100% my fault) so I got a GCC Puma IV. Again, this works great for single color stickers but I would like to utilize the machine to more of its potential.

This is what I have questions about... I would like to do printed stickers. Not MASS produce them but if a customer needed 20-100 stickers it would be nice to be able to offer that service to them.

- What printer would be needed that can take a 24" roll and print on vinyl sticker media?
- I have always used Oracal 651 for all our single color decals, is this media printable?
- Suggestions on a 24-30" laminator? I know stickers can be printed and cut without lamination, but being in SWFL the UV is pretty brutal and it would be nice to protect the customers stickers.
- I work out of Adobe Illustrator and currently use Sure Cuts A Lot bridge for single color decals.... This kinda doesnt seem like it will offer me everything I need for printing stickers on one machine, laminating them on another, and then finally cutting them on the Puma IV, but I honestly have no idea and could be wrong.

I know the simple thing to do would be to just get a Roland SG3-540 and a 54GFP laminator, but I would like to try to utilize the cutter I have now to decide if its even something we should even offer. I apologize for this post kinda being all over the place but as I mentioned, I dont really know what I am looking for.

All your help is appreciated! I you have questions on screenpritning or embroidery please ask away and Ill help if I can!

- Jordan
You have to ask is it worth the time, investment and knowledge, just to print 100 stickers, If your doning it for fun, OK but if its a business, there are far better ways to make money than 100 stickers, maybe focus on this not the equipment

CanuckSigns

I'm not a huge fan of roland, however their little desktop solvent machine sounds like what you need, it prints on 20" media, and has a cutter built in. Keep in mind it is extremely slow, but as an entry level machine for decals it sounds like a winner.

Saturn

Aging Member
I started with small stuff, and still use 30" wide vinyl today, just becuase it makes my life easier. If you can still find a new one, the 24" inch Mutoh VJ628/VJ24 is/was an overlooked workhorse. Only weighs ~80lbs too. I sold mine a few years ago to someone here in town, and it's still running along perfectly 6 years later. The size is obviously both the pro and the con.

If you're near a medium/large market (500,000+) and think you're serious about things, I'd jump straight to a larger printer and real cutter. Epson S80600 and Summa tangential S2/S3 would be my suggestion today. Laminate and barcode everything, and if you can get the business, you're set! Do the math!

White Haus

Not a Newbie
I don't know anything about these machines but keep seeing ads for this ....seems like a good alternative to Roland's mini printer: https://mutoh.com/product/xpertjet-c641sr-pro/

Personally I'd suggest building up the demand while outsourcing the work and see if it builds up, and if it does then just go all-in and buy some real production equipment.

I'd go with an Epson S60600 and a Summa S160T plotter and you'd be set up for some good volume.

Once you have a printer you can offer banners, larger prints etc.

Good luck.

WildWestDesigns

Not as helpful as I was hoping, but I thanks for the input.
That may have been more helpful compared to otherwise.

There was a woman that wanted to bring sublimation in house (not in this group, in another one). Had a lot of customers (she was previously outsourcing, so it's not like she just had interest, but actual customers) and she was just tired of outsourcing. I had suggested doing a C/B analysis to see how long, at what price versus cost (including the cost of upkeep of the machine) that it would take her to be profitable. Well, I don't think she ever did that, especially after the lashing that I got for being a "naysayer" (which I wasn't, I wasn't saying not to do it, just make sure it was worth it). About 5 months later, she was selling everything that she had bought for sublimation that couldn't be retooled for something else.

Even good ideas can rot if the implementation is bad.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
That may have been more helpful compared to otherwise.

There was a woman that wanted to bring sublimation in house (not in this group, in another one). Had a lot of customers (she was previously outsourcing, so it's not like she just had interest, but actual customers) and she was just tired of outsourcing. I had suggested doing a C/B analysis to see how long, at what price versus cost (including the cost of upkeep of the machine) that it would take her to be profitable. Well, I don't think she ever did that, especially after the lashing that I got for being a "naysayer" (which I wasn't, I wasn't saying not to do it, just make sure it was worth it). About 5 months later, she was selling everything that she had bought for sublimation that couldn't be retooled for something else.

Even good ideas can rot if the implementation is bad.
Yep, seems the OP didn't get the "easy button" answers he was looking for and went elsewhere.

WildWestDesigns

Yep, seems the OP didn't get the "easy button" answers he was looking for and went elsewhere.
I can somewhat understand it. They like something, it seems cool, want to integrate it into the workflow. Problem is, just because we may like to do something, doesn't mean that we have the market to support our integrating it in. And the work it takes to cultivate that market when it doesn't exist organically is a tough pill to swallow.

Even if it is a good thing to do, having that C/B will help out in other ways as well. I know resource isn't fun, particularly when we can just ask "AI" to do it, but it can save a lot of money lost in the long run (if done correctly (ironically that comes with experience as well)).

d fleming

I'm not a huge fan of roland, however their little desktop solvent machine sounds like what you need, it prints on 20" media, and has a cutter built in. Keep in mind it is extremely slow, but as an entry level machine for decals it sounds like a winner.
Incredibly I have to agree. I have the bn20 a. Bought it to use for one customer who always orders small stickers in small qty with small text in assorted color. Orders I found out I was missing and decided to get this little thing and see what happens. It paid for itself quick. The 45 blade it comes with is useless, needs the 60. It is slow but low maintenance. Their warranty sucks. Last machine was 63 full solvent, this is ridiculous compared to it but it is making $ right now. I bought an even more silly vevor manual laminator. It rocks. Under 150$. Not a fan of the company (Roland) but if this thing died tomorrow I would consider the newer version that is quicker and takes up less space just to keep the flow going. I use only roland cal air egress in 20" and cut down 210 lam per print. Easy application for customers who don't apply stickers everyday. Like all your local music groups and charity rides, hint hint. There's it is in a nutshell.

GarageShirtsInk

So this was my first thought for sure! Basically the cheapest option for print and cut. It is slow, but after watching it compared to the previous model bn-20a its insanely faster. My main worry is we'd spend the money on it, and outgrow it quicker than expected. Thats kinda why I was wondering if there was a 24" eco solvent printer that was only a couple grand and trying to pair that with my GCC puma cutter. That being said, after much research I found that the only readily available eco solvent print is a Mutoh 628 which retails for $7000. And for $7000 it would make sense to just get the BN-2.

GarageShirtsInk

I don't know anything about these machines but keep seeing ads for this ....seems like a good alternative to Roland's mini printer: https://mutoh.com/product/xpertjet-c641sr-pro/

Personally I'd suggest building up the demand while outsourcing the work and see if it builds up, and if it does then just go all-in and buy some real production equipment.

I'd go with an Epson S60600 and a Summa S160T plotter and you'd be set up for some good volume.

Once you have a printer you can offer banners, larger prints etc.

Good luck.
So you basically nailed it. Wasn't looking for an "easy button" per say, I was looking for an option of a 24" printer to pair with my 24" cutter to test the waters of our clients for stickers and such before diving all the way in.

The only 24" eco solvent printer I could find that people seemed to speak highly of was the Mutoh 628 but sending $7000 on a 24" printer seems like a waste and it would be quickly outgrown.

We have decided to go with an Epson s40600, Graphtec fc9000 and gfp355 laminator. The order hasn't been finalized yet but I was considering one of the tangental cutters from Summa, but have just heard SO much good about Graphtec I'm not sure upgrading to the Summa would be worth it. Ispecailly considering we would be working almost exclusively with thinner media such as stickers, window graphics, and car tint/wraps. If someone has worked closely with a Graphtec and Summa Tangental cutter I would be very open to hearing pros and cons.

As you mentioned, Offering Signs and Banners was a MUST which was another easy reason to rule out the Mutoh 628 and BN-2 which there price tags of about $7000 each

GarageShirtsInk

Incredibly I have to agree. I have the bn20 a. Bought it to use for one customer who always orders small stickers in small qty with small text in assorted color. Orders I found out I was missing and decided to get this little thing and see what happens. It paid for itself quick. The 45 blade it comes with is useless, needs the 60. It is slow but low maintenance. Their warranty sucks. Last machine was 63 full solvent, this is ridiculous compared to it but it is making $ right now. I bought an even more silly vevor manual laminator. It rocks. Under 150$. Not a fan of the company (Roland) but if this thing died tomorrow I would consider the newer version that is quicker and takes up less space just to keep the flow going. I use only roland cal air egress in 20" and cut down 210 lam per print. Easy application for customers who don't apply stickers everyday. Like all your local music groups and charity rides, hint hint. There's it is in a nutshell.
This is the best info, especially for swaying towards the BN-2. My only hand up is wanting to be able to print 30" banners. I am not sure why but we get DONEs of questions for banners all the time. Thank you for including what media you use as well. The more I read about the bn-2 the more I want one for quick and dirty jobs, and then the big stuff for signs banners and large sticker jobs.

CanuckSigns

This is the best info, especially for swaying towards the BN-2. My only hand up is wanting to be able to print 30" banners. I am not sure why but we get DONEs of questions for banners all the time. Thank you for including what media you use as well. The more I read about the bn-2 the more I want one for quick and dirty jobs, and then the big stuff for signs banners and large sticker jobs.
I have a 63" printer and even I don't print banners in house, I send them to a wholesaler, who prints, hems and grommets it at a price that allows me to 3x-4x their price to my customer.

tulsagraphics

Unless you have a specific need that requires in-house printing (e.g. same day rush printing) it's not worth the headache or expense in small volume. You need to print at least 1k sq.ft. per month on wide format to justify a solvent printer and keep it "healthy" by printing almost every day, else you'll end up with expensive / time consuming maintenance problems. Solvent is some nasty stuff, and it's eating away at your hardware whether or not you turn on your machine.

I have several 64" printers (S80600, etc), Fotoba XLD 170, (3) sewing machines, a huge air-hockey-style sewing table and an industrial grommet machine. Banners are my flagship product, and even with some great equipment on hand... I STILL OUTSOURCE a lot of banner jobs. Quality outsourcing is so affordable these days, and it frees up a lot of time. If I were to start over, I'd outsource 90% of my work.

That's just my personal "small shop" experience over the past 25 years.

Last edited: