• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

DarkerKat

design & such
Hey if anyone else has experience producing channel letters on an SDS automation machine - how do you determine/place holes on your sign backers and channels?

Context - We were given one sample file when we had our machines installed so I've basically just been cutting this bump and hole off and copying it into other files, manually lining it up with the edges. - this is ridiculously time consuming to do, even with plugins to automate the rotation. The letters are much easier to assemble than traditional channel letters (I am a fan of the machine) but we're offsetting all that time to the design team on file setup. I've talked to the techs - they don't have any direction for us "We sell the ovens, we don't provide cake recipes" I can't even get a manual on how to use their software SDSBenderCad.

Has anyone come up with a better way of doing this or have some kind of logic behind where they place them?
We setup our files in illustrator output to DXF for the production team to execute. We have been told that the channel bender can automatically place the channel holes to match our backer file based off "nodes" - will adding an extra point on these paths translate to a node when we open the files in SDSBenderCad? The provided files don't appear to have any extra points.

We're flying blind here, any help would be appreciated.
1727811844675.png
1727811920185.png
1727812605697.png