• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Seeking Advice - Large Format Printer for Occasional Use

danthesignman39

Hello,

Looking for advice on a large format printer for occasional use. (Weeks at a time of downtime likely with no print jobs).

We presently operate a couple of Epson S60600 printers, and a Mutoh XpertJet 1641SR Pro. These run in our main location essentially 24/7, producing sheets of vinyl decals which we laminate and cut with a plotter, coroplast signs, and other items for internal company use. (We are not an outside sign seller).

We're happy with the performance of these printers, and looking to add another printer to a new, small satellite office that we just opened for occasional use. This printer would also act as a backup incase of downtime on one of the printers at our main office, so I would like for it to be able to handle the same workload and types of materials and jobs.

My understanding is that neither of our current printers do well with extended downtime, and that sitting without regular use can cause nozzle or printhead damage. **Disclaimer: I am not the operator of these units, and am just repeating what my operators tell me.**
Is there a "storage procedure" that isn't a ridiculous pain in the butt, that makes it OK to shut one of these printers down for weeks at a time, and then put it back to use without too much trouble to bring it back out of hibernation a few weeks later? If so, any downsides to this? Is either of my current models better or worse at it?

Would love recommendations on a specific type of printer, or even a specific brand/model of printer, that can handle the same types of jobs as the above printers, but do OK with going unused for a couple of weeks at a time. I'm familiar somewhat with solvent vs eco-solvent vs UV, etc... but not sure on the pros/cons of each for our use case.

Appreciate any help! Thanks!

Adam Vreeke

Knows just enough to get in a lot of trouble..
As you stated, these machines do not like to sit idle; however, if I ever have a day where my machine isn't running I run a 24" x 24" square of solid CMYK colors (add in any other ink colors you have in the machine) just to get the heads firing. I do this in the morning, before lunch, and before I leave. Make sure to do the daily maintenance on it everyday, and do a nozzle check. This would be your best option in my opinion if you need the machine and it just sits idle.

For what machine you should get, I would get something in the same family that you are currently running, if it is the same machine you can also have a backup of any parts or ink in case of emergencies, you know the machine and the RIP and just helps with any problems the satellite office might face.

d fleming

Format of your choice but def ecosol inkset. As for weeks at a time with no printing. Don't do it. If you have to, make a genric sheet of something useful or even handouts but run that sucker couple times a week even if its just a few feet. Had a full solvent seiko, loved it til the end but it was a daily printer and heavy daily maintenance to keep it happy. Have an ecosol printer now and feel spoiled with how little maintenance there is compared to solvent. Not a latex or an hp fan. Best advice I can give.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
As you stated, these machines do not like to sit idle; however, if I ever have a day where my machine isn't running I run a 24" x 24" square of solid CMYK colors (add in any other ink colors you have in the machine) just to get the heads firing. I do this in the morning, before lunch, and before I leave. Make sure to do the daily maintenance on it everyday, and do a nozzle check. This would be your best option in my opinion if you need the machine and it just sits idle.

For what machine you should get, I would get something in the same family that you are currently running, if it is the same machine you can also have a backup of any parts or ink in case of emergencies, you know the machine and the RIP and just helps with any problems the satellite office might face.

That's a lot of wasted ink/media/time...........probably overkill unless you have an aging machine that isn't capping properly. Have you ever tried not doing this every day? As long as your head(s) are capping properly and have some sort of automatic routine maintenance schedule, chances are this isn't necessary.

Adam Vreeke

Knows just enough to get in a lot of trouble..
That's a lot of wasted ink/media/time...........probably overkill unless you have an aging machine that isn't capping properly. Have you ever tried not doing this every day? As long as your head(s) are capping properly and have some sort of automatic routine maintenance schedule, chances are this isn't necessary.
It's a 10 year old machine that we got used from a company that used it as a demo machine, so its got some miles on it. It's a JFX200-2513 with LH-100 ink, so I am just paranoid about it. We also only have maybe 5 days total a year where nothing is getting run on it, so just making sure it is running tip top. And being flatbed I just run it right over the same spot everytime.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
It's a 10 year old machine that we got used from a company that used it as a demo machine, so its got some miles on it. It's a JFX200-2513 with LH-100 ink, so I am just paranoid about it. We also only have maybe 5 days total a year where nothing is getting run on it, so just making sure it is running tip top. And being flatbed I just run it right over the same spot everytime.
Ah sorry I just assumed it was a roll to roll printer for some reason. Makes perfect sense. We've also got an aging flatbed and should probably be doing what you're doing with the white.....hardly gets used these days and the nozzles can be a b*tch to get back when you need it.

Zoogee World

Domed Promotional Product Supplier
As everyone here has stated, it wouldn't be a good thing to have any kind of printer just sitting for prolong periods. It would be much cheaper in the long run to just sub out those prints. The maintenance costs alone could be a lot or at least wasted consumable costs if you do as mentioned on a daily basis when not running jobs.