• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question SEIKI SK720T CUTTER. Is a free software setup possible?

Jason B

Hi all.

I have ordered the Seiki sk720t 28" cutter, and use Inkscape for the vector art design on a windows 10 laptop. I also have an old xp laptop to hand if it makes any difference.
I understand Inkscape has a sister software called Inkcut and was wondering if anyone can confirm it works with the Seiki, or is there another free software that can connect with it successfully.
I dont mind exporting the eps/svg file to a software that has the connectivity with the cutter.
Im not being a scrooge, its just that ive been unemployed for over a year, am about to start a new retail business and have ploughed every penny I have into it. This effort will save me hundreds in signage costs for the shop.
As allways, any help would be hugely appreciated.

WildWestDesigns

Hi all.

I have ordered the Seiki sk720t 28" cutter, and use Inkscape for the vector art design on a windows 10 laptop. I also have an old xp laptop to hand if it makes any difference.
I understand Inkscape has a sister software called Inkcut and was wondering if anyone can confirm it works with the Seiki, or is there another free software that can connect with it successfully.

InkCut is only stable on the Linux variant of Inkscape. As of now, they only have a beta version for Windows setup.

For a list of supported InkCut devices go here.

I know on my Roland, if properly set up, I can "print" directly to my cutter without having an extension for Inkscape as there are several protocols that Linux has that will work with cutters (at least on my Roland). InkCut just adds some extra features instead of only straight cutting and cutting in a particular layer hierarchy.

Jason B

InkCut is only stable on the Linux variant of Inkscape. As of now, they only have a beta version for Windows setup.

I know on my Roland, if properly set up, I can "print" directly to my cutter without having an extension for Inkscape as there are several protocols that Linux has that will work with cutters (at least on my Roland). InkCut just adds some extra features instead of only straight cutting and cutting in a particular layer hierarchy.
Ok. If i have to ill install linux on a partition. What would be the best lightweight version to install ? Seeing that it would only be used for design n cutting.
Thanks WWD.

Jason B

That link you gave me for the Inkcut supported deviced, was that for the windows beta version or the linux? Because my machine IS listed. :D

WildWestDesigns

Almost anything with the XFCE desktop environment will be a good lightweight OS.

It idles at about 500MBs (at least it did when I was using it), even with the 64 bit version. It will be hard finding 32bit ISOs however.

Ubuntu based versions tend to be easier to get up and running. 18.04 LTS was just released. Xubuntu will be one for that one. If you don't mind the previous LTS (16.04, still has a little bit of support left) or waiting awhile, I would recommend ZorinOS Lite. I personally prefer KDE based OSs, but depending on how resource strapped your machine is, it may or may not work. It's gotten lighter, but it is still pretty hefty.

The 18.04 Ubuntu OSs also have a nifty install option and that's the "minimal install" and that does strip away some of your heavier programs and just puts in the "essentials" and then you can add what you want later. I prefer that option versus uninstalling and installing what I want/don't want. Just something else to look at.

The list should apply to both versions, again the Windows version is in Beta, so keep that in mind with regard to production use.

Jason B

Almost anything with the XFCE desktop environment will be a good lightweight OS.

It idles at about 500MBs (at least it did when I was using it), even with the 64 bit version. It will be hard finding 32bit ISOs however.

Ubuntu based versions tend to be easier to get up and running. 18.04 LTS was just released. Xubuntu will be one for that one. If you don't mind the previous LTS (16.04, still has a little bit of support left) or waiting awhile, I would recommend ZorinOS Lite. I personally prefer KDE based OSs, but depending on how resource strapped your machine is, it may or may not work. It's gotten lighter, but it is still pretty hefty.

The 18.04 Ubuntu OSs also have a nifty install option and that's the "minimal install" and that does strip away some of your heavier programs and just puts in the "essentials" and then you can add what you want later. I prefer that option versus uninstalling and installing what I want/don't want. Just something else to look at.

The list should apply to both versions, again the Windows version is in Beta, so keep that in mind with regard to production use.
I guess an 18.04 Ubuntu OS dual boot on a windows partition will be my best bet. I dont know much about linux but ill follow the install instructions for inkscape and inkcut and hopefully it wont need too much teccy knowledge about drivers and coding. Youve given me an option and i appreciate that. Thanks.

WildWestDesigns

I guess an 18.04 Ubuntu OS dual boot on a windows partition will be my best bet. I dont know much about linux but ill follow the install instructions for inkscape and inkcut and hopefully it wont need too much teccy knowledge about drivers and coding. Youve given me an option and i appreciate that. Thanks.

If you want something a little less permanent, may want to think about VM'ing the OS. A lot easier to get rid of it if you want/need to. This will very much depend on what resources you have available to the computer in question. Don't try this on a low resource system.

As to the techie side of things. This is really is outdated mind set. Linux isn't the techie's "wet dream" only that it once was. It helps with the nitty gritty customization, but something like an Ubuntu based distro, for 95% of the tasks out there, you shouldn't need the command line at all. A lot of it can be done graphically. A desktop environment like KDE makes a boat load of customization possible (I think too much, but I still use Kubuntu (and KDE Neon), my mainstays on my desktops/laptops) via the GUI.

You may or may not need proprietary drivers for graphics if you are only using 1 or 2 monitors and if one isn't a Cintiq or something along those lines. I use the stock linux driver for my shop computer that has 2 monitors and no Cintiq. For my 3 monitor office setup (which includes a 27 QHD Cintiq), I have to use the Nvidia driver.