• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sell up or start up?!

Afternoon on e and all.

I am the proud new owner, by default of a brand new, boxed and in original packaging HP T920.

After a week or so of snooping around various printing forums, local printing websites and fleabay I find myself a little out of my depth but seriously contemplating giving it a go.

I'm sitting here looking at items sold on ebay for people selling a1,2,3,4 and 0 prints and they seem to be making good money. I am thinking me and the wife or certainly the wife can leave the pants job she goes to every day work flexi hours and still earn more then the 20k a year she currently gets?!?!

Am I mad?

If all goes wrong I have a second hand t920 to sell?

Do I sell the t920 as is and purchase something more suitable

I will be attempting to fire up the beast over the next day or so to make sure she is working, but I see no reason it shouldn't?

Is this plug and play?

I run a mac book, is this a simple and plugging in to the mac and adding the printer? ( i GUESS i CANT BE THAT LUCKY?!!!))

How much will I be spending on ink if I were printing on 200gsm Satin/Gloss?

Thanks in advance?!!!!

reQ

Just facepalm... don't even feel like commenting on same posts over and over again

Apologies Req

The forum title and text suggests this is a place for a "newbie" to ask basic questions?

[h=2]Newbie Forum[/h](15 Viewing)
New to the business or thinking about jumping in? Got some basic questions? Ask them here.

Don't want to annoy anyone, just trying to do the wife a good deed and free her from the mundane!

I could be wrong, but I think it will only do indoor prints, nothing for outdoors.

Ok thanks for the reply. WHAT DO YOU MEAN NO OUTDDOR, forgive my ignorance, the spec sheets specifies the below media;

Media SizeA0, A1, A2, A3, A4, - 8.27" to 35.98" to - Cut Sheet, - 10.98" to 35.98" to - Roll Paper, 3.58" - Roll Paper
Media Handling2 x Automatic Front Loading Roll Feed, 1 x Output Tray 50 Sheet
Media TypeCoated Paper, Bond Paper, Photo Paper, Plain Paper, Color Paper, HeavyweightCoated Paper, Super Heavyweight Plus Matte, Technical Paper, Translucent Bond, Tracing Paper, Vellum, Polyester Film, Clear Film, Matte Film, Glossy Photo Paper, Satin Photo Paper, Backlit, Semi-gloss Paper, Matte Paper, High-gloss Paper, Adhesive Paper, Vinyl, Polypropylene, Cut Sheet, Roll Paper

reQ

Seen tons of business people like that here.

- I will buy/bought a printer, wanna make a killing making stickers and selling them on ebay. Is it good idea or no ( which in real world, people expecting to hear - yes, effin great idea, good ahead!)

my2cents

player

The ink. Not waterproof or UV proof. I could be wrong though...need confirmation. Spec sheet says dye inks.

Seen tons of business people like that here.

- I will buy/bought a printer, wanna make a killing making stickers and selling them on ebay. Is it good idea or no ( which in real world, people expecting to hear - yes, effin great idea, good ahead!)

my2cents

I have the printer sat in my warehouse. A customer went bust on me owing me nearly 10k. I am trying to get my money back and give the wife something to do flexi.

if you require any warehousing or transport advice I wouls be happy to advise.

DougWestwood

Sell it

Before you go opening a brand new machine, and depreciating the item by 50% at least,
think about trying to sell it used. You never will.

This type of HP is tiny, has very few uses, and will be obsolete by the time you open it, use it, and are ready to sell it.
I would sell it to a company who can use it right now and use it up, not build a business around it.

After you sell it, you can use that as a downpayment to buy a full-size printer (54"+), that will handle outdoor materials, banners, auto vinyl, etc.No way this machine can handle the real money-making materials.

Just my two cents, before you open the packaging.
Good Luck!
- Doug
Vancouver

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ok thanks for the reply. WHAT DO YOU MEAN NO OUTDDOR, forgive my ignorance, the spec sheets specifies the below media;

Media SizeA0, A1, A2, A3, A4, - 8.27" to 35.98" to - Cut Sheet, - 10.98" to 35.98" to - Roll Paper, 3.58" - Roll Paper
Media Handling2 x Automatic Front Loading Roll Feed, 1 x Output Tray 50 Sheet
Media TypeCoated Paper, Bond Paper, Photo Paper, Plain Paper, Color Paper, HeavyweightCoated Paper, Super Heavyweight Plus Matte, Technical Paper, Translucent Bond, Tracing Paper, Vellum, Polyester Film, Clear Film, Matte Film, Glossy Photo Paper, Satin Photo Paper, Backlit, Semi-gloss Paper, Matte Paper, High-gloss Paper, Adhesive Paper, Vinyl, Polypropylene, Cut Sheet, Roll Paper

All you have listed is paper products, except for two. I highly doubt it will print to paper or vinyl without using the proper inks for dye or pigmented. I don't know about where you're from, but around these parts, paper outside is gonna last a day or so, unless it rains or the winds blow first.

Forgive your ignorance..... ?? No need to. Everyone wants to find something for their wives to do to keep them out of mischief, but why something you or she know nothing about ?? You got a free printer. Good for you Your best bet would be to google it, find out what it's worth and try to sell it, then get something nice for your wife for Valentines Day. I'll bet this would make her far happier than toiling around on a worthless printer meant for an office where they make blueprints or lotsa fancy pictures to pass around for a conference. This is not a printer for sign use whatsoever.

This is why some people have a problem answering you. We see this stuff day in and day out in which someone, such as yourself, wants to break into the industry, without a clue and takes offense cause their bubble has been busted due to their own haste.

Like I said, you didn't spend a thing on it, so no money lost. So, just try to off and do yourself a favor. If you wanna come back as a beginner and learn..... more power to ya, but it's an uphill battle the first coupla months to year or two.

player

All you have listed is paper products, except for two. I highly doubt it will print to paper or vinyl without using the proper inks for dye or pigmented. I don't know about where you're from, but around these parts, paper outside is gonna last a day or so, unless it rains or the winds blow first.

Forgive your ignorance..... ?? No need to. Everyone wants to find something for their wives to do to keep them out of mischief, but why something you or she know nothing about ?? You got a free printer. Good for you Your best bet would be to google it, find out what it's worth and try to sell it, then get something nice for your wife for Valentines Day. I'll bet this would make her far happier than toiling around on a worthless printer meant for an office where they make blueprints or lotsa fancy pictures to pass around for a conference. This is not a printer for sign use whatsoever.

This is why some people have a problem answering you. We see this stuff day in and day out in which someone, such as yourself, wants to break into the industry, without a clue and takes offense cause their bubble has been busted due to their own haste.

Like I said, you didn't spend a thing on it, so no money lost. So, just try to off and do yourself a favor. If you wanna come back as a beginner and learn..... more power to ya, but it's an uphill battle the first coupla months to year or two.

Year or ten...

Glennora

Don't forget about eBay fees

The prices on ebay are better than they look. You can subtract about 20% off top just for seller fees.