• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

News Serif Affinity "Sale"

WildWestDesigns

What exactly does Affinity do that all of the software I currently wrangle can't do?
Well, I guess that's going to depend on what "all of the software I currently wrangle" involves. It may do more, or it may do less, it all depends on what is included there.

Sometimes it's not about what it can/can't do, but about the technological debt that comes with a 30+ yr old program(s). A lot of cruft comes with that and I highly doubt that they are going to do a rewrite to handle those shortcomings.

DL Signs

Never go against the family
What exactly does Affinity do that all of the software I currently wrangle can't do?
I can tell you why I use it.
Saves a lot of money and headaches. Unlike Adobe, their products all Affinity products have the same core programming, so you can work seamlessly between their vector/ photo/ publisher programs. They're streamlined, don't have bloat or require massive system resources, and you do noticeably less menu surfing. You purchase rather than rent, and the price is insanely affordable. You don't need multiple licenses for computers you own, no monthly subscriptions. Do you sacrifice some features? Sure, but most are ones I can live without. I design and print for a sign company, and freelance in the ad market for newspapers & other publications, do custom illustrations for people, and it's what I've used for a couple of years now without any issues.

Is it for everyone? No, but definitely worth checking out, especially for the price. Even if just to add design software on extra computers without subscription fees.

I initially got it to throw on an extra laptop I had that didn't justify paying another $600 a year in subscription fees, got the whole suite on a half price sale, $75, all three, mine for life. I'm down to only having one license left for just Illustrator on one machine now, more for plugin support for equipment than anything else. Not having to pay for licenses for multiple computers has saved thousands over the last couple years. They work with most file formats, has most of the same tools, just different names for them to get used to. They actually handle text, gradients, masking, most of the common things a designer uses much better than others in my opinion.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
If someone wanted to switch from the Adobe Creative Suite, to Affinity - would one be able to open older .ai files to modify? Now I'm really interested for at home. I don't use the apps enough to justify my subscription, and Affinity sounds like it would be worth the one-time investment for the rare freelance I do.

WildWestDesigns

I can tell you why I use it.
Saves a lot of money and headaches. Unlike Adobe, their products all Affinity products have the same core programming, so you can work seamlessly between their vector/ photo/ publisher programs.
I never really had this problem with Adobe. To me, they always worked seamlessly together. That was/is their biggest strength. This extending to video (Premiere), audio (Soundbooth/Audition) and animation as well (Flash/Animate) and for my workflow.

They're streamlined, don't have bloat or require massive system resources, and you do noticeably less menu surfing.
This goes into the tech debt that I mentioned. Everything just feels like they cobbled/tacked it on as they went. But that is just how it felt to me.

You purchase rather than rent, and the price is insanely affordable.
This isn't exactly true. They are all licensed software, even way back when for Adobe. The abilities of the end user may be different in how they are able to use the software and how long it lasts, but it's all leased software.

You don't need multiple licenses for computers you own, no monthly subscriptions. Do you sacrifice some features? Sure, but most are ones I can live without. I design and print for a sign company, and freelance in the ad market for newspapers & other publications, do custom illustrations for people, and it's what I've used for a couple of years now without any issues.
This I'm not to sure about. I have found with some things (not all, but some) that people don't think that they exist, it's because it's a different workflow (not necessarily a bad thing (or good thing), just different). That may put some people off (want to argue UX on it, that's something else, but the features may actually exist), but that's a different concern.

I'm down to only having one license left for just Illustrator on one machine now, more for plugin support for equipment than anything else.
To me, this is the key thing here. Now personally, I would prefer to have a plugin system that is open enough to where end users can write their own plugins. Now some people may think that is a "hacky" thing (I really hate what that term has come to mean, but it is what it is), irony is all plugins are actually "hacks"(yes even commercial ones) along those lines.

With regard to opening files. Bare in mind, ai/cdr files are proprietary files, it's going to be hit or miss as to if they are opened in a totally different program or not. Some people might think that it's something that should be expected, that's Whistlin' Dixie. Even if one of these companies was to buy out the other, no promises that file importing would get better for the respective file format. Especially if the bought software is later killed off, do have examples of this in the past. Best you can do is try to keep the vector properties and flatten/outline as much as you can. Yes, you would lose some abilities for live editing, but it's better compared to not have anything except a raster file to have to re work.

This is why I would always strongly suggest to have a more "universal" file format that has as much of the vector properties as possible. It won't be perfect, but better that compared to have to start totally from scratch. Now, the pickle is for those that have yrs, decades of proprietary formats, Ai/DRAW don't really have a mass export and it's not something that is easily scripted (especially since they can't also run headless), so just a tedious thing to have to deal with.

Last edited:

jochwat

Graphics Department
If someone wanted to switch from the Adobe Creative Suite, to Affinity - would one be able to open older .ai files to modify? Now I'm really interested for at home. I don't use the apps enough to justify my subscription, and Affinity sounds like it would be worth the one-time investment for the rare freelance I do.
Just got home and installed Designer. Opened a few native .AI files, and... they opened. And I could edit them. Be aware that I've only been fooling with the program for less than 3 minutes, but, so far it does indeed open them. When it gets down to files with unsupported features like 3D and such, there will be issues, of course... Not bad at this point.

DL Signs

WildWestDesigns

If you do flash, animation, etc, yeah, Adobe is kind of a must. If you're a photographer, it's still the boss. It comes down to what you need. I work for a sign company and freelance in the ad world, I design for print, I print, I cut... I send files to printers of newspapers & magazines created in Affinity with no problems. The majority of what I do at the shop, I create artwork and print in-house with no issues. Customer provided files I don't really have many problems with. What I cut has to pass through Illustrator because, well, Mimaki. You'd think some of these manufacturers would have gotten better at this in the last 30 years.

And you're right, it would be great to have a universal format. No software company will ever get 100% of the users in the industry anyway. Most general design work uses the basic tools, text, shapes, color. For signs, banners, logo design, general graphics, vehicle graphics and wraps, a vector is a vector, no matter how you slice it, or what program you use to create it, the proprietary extensions make or break their range of use. The biggest issue is no CDR file support, but we require customers to provide PDF, EPS, or Ai, so I rarely encounter them anyway. I've been using Affinity for a couple years and have had very few issues with Adobe file formats, even designs provided by national accounts that always seem to make the simplest designs waaayyy more complicated than they need to be. Photo integration/ manipulation into designs is just as easy as Adobe, and I've run into the need to save & reopen mix vector/ pixel designs between AI & PS to edit the two independently, Affinity all but eliminated that. I've been pretty impressed. They're on a good path.

Affinity does allow you to use your license on more than one device you own, it doesn't expire, and unlike Adobe you can run them simultaneously, not "one device at a time" if you're using a single license. So it's about as close to ownership as it gets.

If you look in this thread at the MC vector I attached, It was done with Affinity Designer using nothing but vector shapes, masks, and gaussian blur. That's it. No gradients, no pixel elements. I do illustrations like that just for fun. Maybe I've just been doing this too long, but I've never used half of what Adobe, or even Affinity has, and I can do that in pretty much any vector software. I don't use tracing programs, I create/ recreate elements and effects without having to buy or download them, and never seem to need half of the tools and options, I try to not "over complicate" the design process like many do. Complex designs done as simple as possible.

I've tried just about every software on the market at least once in the last 30 years. I was an Adobe guy because it worked, I just found something that works just as good for what I do, for a lot less. Affinity is still in it's infant stage, they've already come a long way since I started using them. There are a few things I'd like to see addressed, and so far they've been very receptive. With companies buying each other out, I sure hope that they stay true to their current path, would love to see how far they go. I don't think they'll ever "replace" Adobe, but they fill a gap, and now with all the stuff that's happening (or not) with Corel, the industry may need another good alternative.

Aunt LuLu

Aunt LuLu
If you have an iPad I do recommend getting BOTH the desktop computer version of Affinity Designer and the iPad version. There are handy drawing/sketching things you can do with the iPad version (in conjunction with the add-on Apple Pencil). The same .afdesign files can be traded from the iPad app to a PC or Mac running the desktop version. The iPad version typically costs less than half the price of the desktop version.
I am not there yet. I have an apple phone & a desktop computer. That is enough for me at this time, possible in the future. I keep asking myself the question "How much screen time do I need?" "When is it too much?" Laura - aka - Aunt LuLu

WildWestDesigns

DL Signs

WildWestDesigns

If you do flash, animation, etc, yeah, Adobe is kind of a must. If you're a photographer, it's still the boss. It comes down to what you need.
Well, I'm more of a frame by frame animation guy, that isn't Flash's strong point, or advertised strong point.

But that actually wasn't the point. I haven't used Adobe at all within the last 8 yrs now, I'm not even on the Windows or Mac platform (I've totally flown that coop), so using Adobe is moot at this point as well, at least as far as bare metal goes.

It is more about how tightly integrated they are. While I do not believe that as many people need Adobe as those that claim to, the one thing that cannot be taken from Adobe, is how integrated their system is. It's actually the best at that very thing.

I work for a sign company and freelance in the ad world, I design for print, I print, I cut... I send files to printers of newspapers & magazines created in Affinity with no problems. The majority of what I do at the shop, I create artwork and print in-house with no issues. Customer provided files I don't really have many problems with. What I cut has to pass through Illustrator because, well, Mimaki. You'd think some of these manufacturers would have gotten better at this in the last 30 years.
Nor do I. While I do have customer supplied files, most of which are PDFs, those few that I do have as a master file, what I need to do, I don't have to have them in their pure vector form as it is. So that need for me is not there.

And you're right, it would be great to have a universal format. No software company will ever get 100% of the users in the industry anyway. Most general design work uses the basic tools, text, shapes, color. For signs, banners, logo design, general graphics, vehicle graphics and wraps, a vector is a vector, no matter how you slice it, or what program you use to create it, the proprietary extensions make or break their range of use. The biggest issue is no CDR file support, but we require customers to provide PDF, EPS, or Ai, so I rarely encounter them anyway. I've been using Affinity for a couple years and have had very few issues with Adobe file formats, even designs provided by national accounts that always seem to make the simplest designs waaayyy more complicated than they need to be. Photo integration/ manipulation into designs is just as easy as Adobe, and I've run into the need to save & reopen mix vector/ pixel designs between AI & PS to edit the two independently, Affinity all but eliminated that. I've been pretty impressed. They're on a good path.

The apparel industry does seem them far more if you don't require stipulations to file format. I think most people should require stipulations to file formats if they want to make sure that they see certain file formats or certain versions of those file formats.
In most instances, things really are done very simply even from people that usually dictate Adobe format. Although I do really hate the amount of clipping masks there are.

Affinity does allow you to use your license on more than one device you own, it doesn't expire, and unlike Adobe you can run them simultaneously, not "one device at a time" if you're using a single license. So it's about as close to ownership as it gets.
That is a common misconception, they do expire. Not typically in the direct method that most people thing of, but they do. Unless you are willing to run either physical boxes of older OSs or VMs of the older OS that can support running that program, they will expire at some point. There are breaking changes that do happen at the OS level that make it hard for installation of those programs later on and if they aren't supported on th new OSs (Affinity doesn't have a point release to add in that newer OS support), have to do something else to keep that around.

Be careful here (not necessarily for you specifically, but "you" in general), there are actually exceptions to here if this is a commercial business that has others using the same computer etc (and of course, the usual education exception as well). Even if it's a Windows computer (I wonder why they specifically said Windows when this is somewhat cross platform (I say somewhat because it is only available on 2/3s of the desktop platforms, at least major ones, there are a lot of minor ones out there)) that "you" own, it must only be used by "you", if you intend to use it in commercial purposes. How they can police that, I don't know but it is in their EULA just the same. Even if you are the only one that owns and uses the computer for commercial purposes, if others use it, even for private use, they have to have their own license (if they use an Affinity product on said computer, but if one has others on there just in general, probably going to spark something).

Of course, if there is any method of online validation of legit purpose, that is another area in which something can "expire" as well. Even if it isn't the same type of activation that Adobe and Corel do, if it is a server that they can retire, because they no longer support the product, that is a risk there. Now, if it's offline activation, that's something else. But if it goes online for any validation purposes, that is another risk.

Actually one can get closer to ownership, just not with programs that follow this type of development model (but I'm trying not to digress into that topic).

If you look in this thread at the MC vector I attached, It was done with Affinity Designer using nothing but vector shapes, masks, and gaussian blur. That's it. No gradients, no pixel elements. I do illustrations like that just for fun. Maybe I've just been doing this too long, but I've never used half of what Adobe, or even Affinity has, and I can do that in pretty much any vector software. I don't use tracing programs, I create/ recreate elements and effects without having to buy or download them, and never seem to need half of the tools and options, I try to not "over complicate" the design process like many do. Complex designs done as simple as possible.

When I was teaching people embroidery digitizing to others, I always did it either in a manual or semi manual way. More likely, those tools existed in a variety of programs, may have different hot keys, may have different names, but the functionality is the same. This enabled the ability to go from one program to the next pretty seamlessly if needed to switch programs for whatever reason (that isn't even going over the general better quality of output if one knows what they are doing). This also enabled me to move away from a commercial program that costs $15k to an open source program that costs $0. And I didn't skip a beat within that transition, because I was already used to a more cross platform workflow. But if one is beholding to a very specific workflow that was tightly interwoven with any one particular product, no bueno for them. Just like when I use vector programs, it's the bezier pen tool and pathfinding tools. Something that is common to most vector programs out there. Same thing with sketching/drawing programs as well.

Your preaching to the choir, I have debated this very topic (and I actually have taken it further down the rabbit hole in some aspects) on here over the years. I don't disagree with your premise of not needing Adobe (I haven't used Adobe myself for almost 10 yrs, not even in a VM), but suite integration still at this time, goes to them. I use programs that aren't as tightly integrated, that has gotten better, but it is still lacking, just because they are all under separate projects (not from one company) and it is a hassle, but once that workflow is learned, it handles OK, but not at the same level of Adobe.

But keep in mind, not only do I believe that not many people out there really need Adobe that think that they do, but also I believe that other software has some, not all, but I think they don't lack as much functionality as most would think, of the functionality that people think are missing from Adobe, just implemented in a different way that has to be relearned. Now want to argue the UX of that, that's one thing, but some of them say that due to the UX that the feature may as well not exists, not quite the same thing. Typically the problem there is that they are so coupled with a specific software workflow, but I digress (which I do most of the time).

I know I have gotten long winded, so after all of that, I just wanted to say, I'm all for people switching to something else outside of the usual 2 programs. Don't get me wrong. My experience, such as it is, is only with Photo as far as Affinity goes, but I can't complain about it at all. I think more competition helps the others innovate (and I don't consider just buying other software innovation), so more the merrier.

jochwat

Graphics Department
One quick note, as this would be a make-or-break situation if I was forced at gunpoint to choose one product over the other: Affinity Designer does not have an Trace function. If time was not a factor, that wouldn't be an issue. But when I receive 30 low-res sponsor logos for event collateral, and I need to recreate anything I can't track down, Image Trace is indispensable. There are other solutions out there and I've given them a quick shot (Inkscape is free and has a tracing function, and there are plenty of free online tracers, and then of course Vector Doctor), but maybe I'm just too used to the speed and ease of Illustrator's Image Trace.

The Affinity forums are flush with requests for this feature, and maybe it'll show up in the next major release. That's my hope, anyway.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Boudica said:
If someone wanted to switch from the Adobe Creative Suite, to Affinity - would one be able to open older .ai files to modify?

Affinity Designer has limited support for Adobe Illustrator files. From my own personal experience the results of opening AI files in Affinity Designer is a bit hit or miss. The AI files have to be saved with PDF compatibility intact. Certain "live" Illustrator-specific effects will not be preserved when brought into the Designer environment.

Affinity Designer cannot open CorelDRAW CDR files. Inkscape is the only rival vector drawing application I know of that has CDR open/import capability. Inkscape's CDR import capability is somewhat limited. However, Inkscape can import CDR files made in CorelDRAW 5 or earlier, unlike CorelDRAW. Newer versions of CorelDRAW cannot open/import old CDR files made in version 5 or earlier, which is only just flagrant bull$#!+. Executives at Corel (and KKR) need a royal @$$-chewing for allowing such stupidity to be put into place.

Aunt LuLu said:
I am not there yet. I have an apple phone & a desktop computer. That is enough for me at this time, possible in the future.

I bought my iPad Pro for the specific use case of drawing/sketching directly on screen. In terms of quality and overall bang for the buck I think the iPad beats comparable Wacom products. The Apple Pencil works very well. I do not like the stylus that comes with some Microsoft Surface products.

In the past I would sketch things on paper and then scan it in a flatbed scanner. Now I mainly just draw, sketch or paint directly onto the iPad screen. One thing I like about drawing on an iPad: I can zoom into the drawing for more fine tune control. I can't do that when drawing on a real life piece of paper. There is a unique ecosystem of graphics apps for the iPad. Procreate is a really cool painting app. The iPad also supports full blown graphics applications like Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop and even Affinity Designer. The apps on the iPad typically auto-update. I usually have to manually update the Windows version of Affinity Designer.

The iPad is also very good as a "media consumption device." I've watched plenty of steaming TV episodes and YouTube videos on it. The built-in speakers are actually very good; they even have a decent amount of "thump," which is good for music. Battery life is typically excellent. Heavy graphics projects will drink battery juice a bit faster.

jochwat said:
One quick note, as this would be a make-or-break situation if I was forced at gunpoint to choose one product over the other: Affinity Designer does not have an Trace function.

I had to go back and check since I have a few different drawing applications. Yeah, Affinity Designer has no built-in auto-tracing functions. A low cost rival, Vectornator (available for OSX and iPad OS), added auto tracing functions recently. Vectornator also just added a pretty good shape builder tool to rival the one in Adobe Illustrator. I don't use auto-tracing filters very often, but they are nice to have for quick and dirty raster to vector effects.

The one thing that bugs me most with Affinity Designer is it still doesn't support OpenType Variable fonts. I personally have a pretty good, growing collection of commercially purchased OTF Variable fonts. Google is continually improving its collection of OTF Variable fonts at the Google Fonts web site. Back in the 1990's Type 1 Multiple Master fonts were a flash in the pan. I'm pretty sure OTF Variable fonts are here to stay.

DL Signs

Inskape is incredible, I've used it off and on since I first played with it back around 2008-2010-ish, it's come a long way. After I retired, that's what I used doing freelance work. Then my freelancing entered the realm of doing ads and layouts for newspapers, shopping guides, and other publications (what was I thinking). Everything has to be CMYK, uploaded files had to have specific settings for each print vendor... Of course I pick the one area that Inkscape wasn't natively good at, so I went back to paying Adobe to have what I needed. I got Affinity just to try (like any design program, I'll try them all), and ended up with one that fit my needs. After a couple years of use, like Adobe was, Corel was at one point, Inkscape was, using Affinity is second nature now. Going back to work again, my employer says use what you're comfortable with, and they provided me with it there. I put Inkscape on the systems I use there too, of course. If and when Inkscape ever does full and proper CMYK support, most probably wouldn't need anything more for vector work. It already has a leg up on the rest with native support for Linux.

The Affinity brand is still a baby, They released a basic drawing program just 8 years ago, and didn't really have much to offer competitively till 2017/ 2018. They started with some obsolete Serif programs to work from, and trying to not go down the hole of having to charge a subscription to cover development. Features not included yet are because they're proprietary to someone else, and they'd have to pay, increasing the cost, or write their own. Some of the missing features like tracing aren't aren't a deal breaker for me. I somehow have an ungodly knack for recreating things (shocks me more than anyone). Maybe from having to do it manually for years before trace programs were around, or even good at it. On the rare occasion I do want that feature, it's everywhere now, Adobe, Corel, free with Inkscape, on-line options... Inkscape has been around for about 20 years, using mostly 3rd party contributions, and look at how good they've become, it takes time.

One brand alone will never dominate. Every segment of the industry has different needs, every software has it's pluses and minuses, every designer/ artist has their own preferences, everyone has a budget. If you need specific things, you go with what you need. I would like to see standardize file types a little more, like a wrench is to a mechanic, these programs are just tools to create art. Having a proprietary format for local files is one thing, but there needs to be an editable standard for export that works across the board. While the software companies try to make everything proprietary, it just makes it more difficult, costly, and time consuming for the industry as a whole on our end to serve the end user, our customers. We find ways around it anyway.

WildWestDesigns

Technically, I think svg would be considered a universal vector format that is not proprietary to any software company.
Given it's open standards, I would partially agree. Where it falters is that it's a web standard first, so keep that in mind. Why some of the ways that Inkscape has options is done in the way that it is, which doesn't help with options that some people think don't exist, but do, just integrated in such a way that it doesn't make sense compared to the workflow they are used it, but does make sense considering the web first workflow that the SVG standard is for. It has a lot of potential for alot of things (even program UI as well).

Unfortunately, the closed source software do not have the best support for SVG. For instance, I have a lot of plugins, some I have written, some I have gotten from others (not all of the ones that I have gotten from others are free by the way, common misconception of Open Source) and they write their plugin data into the SVG format itself. Well, those aforementioned programs will parse and purge that data upon save/export in their programs. No bueno, if having done plugin info in the file before using it in those programs for whatever reason. Otherwise, it would make for a good universal format, but I doubt there is any incentive to do that.

As to auto conversion, going back to another part of the conversion that I missed, I actually consider it a pro not to have auto conversion in the software. Ironically, depending on what quality is acceptable for any given project, it may actually take more time in post conversion cleanup compared to having just done it using the bezier pen tool, shapes, and/or pathfinding tools (or some combination thereof). Of course, this assumes familiarity of the user with those tools (which I would argue users should have before they learn the more abstracted away functionality, but I digress). Not only are those tools universal among the more well known/popular vector programs (not talking using say Karbon or SVG-Edit etc), they may be quicker and the quality is often superior compared to auto conversion (again, assuming knowledge/familiarity that the user has with those tools and that will change depending on the degree of knowledge/familiarity as well).

WildWestDesigns

One brand alone will never dominate. Every segment of the industry has different needs, every software has it's pluses and minuses, every designer/ artist has their own preferences, everyone has a budget. If you need specific things, you go with what you need.
I see a program that has a very open plugin API available to users as doing better. If something doesn't exist, or the core devs don't care about it (the core program doesn't have to be open source, just the plugin well documented to allow users to add their stuff to it), it can be written by the users (or other companies).

Otherwise, you are limited to what the program can do or what is allowed to be done via plugins that only certain people can write (pay to access source code etc).

That is correct, not all programs will fit everyone's needs, but if the program in question has a very robust plugin system/community etc, it can do a whole lot more compared to one that doesn't. If I'm not mistaken, I tried looking in their forums, but the more recent was from 2017, it appears that Designer doesn't have plugins, Photo yes, but not Designer. That's going to hold it back unless that changes (if it already hasn't, again, the most recent post I saw on the subject was from 2017).

Now some people will say, whats the point, "I" can't write something or don't have the time to do it or whatever. May very well be true, but just because "you" can't for whatever reason, doesn't mean that other's can't.

Of course, to some that may appear "hacky" with plugins being written by everyone, unfortunately, all plugins are "hacky" even the more commercially successful ones, free or with a cost (why I have a problem and the connotation that it brings).