• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Setting up a large format printing facility in Huntington NY

Good Day,
I wish you luck in the big city. As for online I hope you have a LARGE budget for marketing. I have a top of the line online print-web portal and I have a $60,000+ a year budget to do adwords and other marketing.

Check out Welcome to Liberty Graphics Direct

Good Luck maybe I will meet up with you someday in the city.

aaprinters

libertygraphicsofny Hey thanks for the post! We should definitely get together.

yes I have similar budgets for AdWords, and will surely checkout the online print-web portal!

I am planning of coming around Mid Feb, just after the Chinese New Year as will need help from the chinese to setup the machines!

Best of luck to you too!

printhog

printhog thanks for the straight firing! really appreciate the brutal truth you have pointed out.

OK, I completely get you, and understand where you are coming from. I think its all about the target market all different printers are targeting. So everyone's opinion about the sector is going to be different. My target audience is SME, 98% B2B small businesses, who start their hunt for a supplier online, that cannot afford professional designers, but dont want to pay for design, or simply dont have the time, as at the moment its a grey area in terms of do we pay for design first? what if i dont like it? will i get a refund? can i get unlimited changes? So to make things simple, I will not be the cheapest, but will be very competitive on volume if thats the USP for the client, hence I have more than one site, one for trade/volume no frills, and one for SME's. So I will not be alienating anyone who just needs a print supplier that wants to give volume, and also not too corporate to alienate the SME's, where I think the bigger bucks are on a daily basis.

I have had a look at Circle Graphics, to be honest, I cant get a price without contacting them, let alone addressing any design services. So they must have other websites that can do that, or maybe they dont and rely on resellers and affiliates to make all the money and they just do the donkey work. I am not in this game to do the donkey work on production, I am happy to do the donkey work on design side, which will satisfy a massive SME sector. 90% of my customers would visit Circle Graphics website, take a look around, and move on to the next site which has straight forward pricing, easy design service and a next day delivery option. I hope I am not coming across as arrogant, but like I said, every printer has their own target market and approach to acquiring customers. Its obvious Circle Graphics are hugely successful in the sector they are in, but my approach and my ideal customers are completely different.

Currently 90%+ of my customers are B2B, and 70% are repeat customers who now simply will not buy banners from anywhere else regardless of my price. Like I said, I am not the cheapest, but what I can say, my design is free, I do the donkey work to help SME customers with their design and they stick for good. 35% actually give us their design work for other things, which we charge for.

The model is proven to be successful in the UK. The US market is 3 times bigger in NY alone. My approach and strategy is no secret, its solving a problem, and I believe, if printers dont adapt to online trends, and changing customer buying behavior online, businesses with printers, ink and media alone will be going out of business, or they will be heavily relying on online sellers via a re-seller program or affiliate, hence making very little profit.

I am very delighted with your contribution, I am very passionate so please excuse the over burn! I would really like to keep in touch!

BTW, any advice on which courier company can deliver next day to most states? with a good reputation and also economical? Many Thanks
Glad you checked out circle. They supply the nation's outdoor ad firms. That's why there no retail front there. They acquired several national print for pay firms (magic graphics was one) and those all had a SME platform.

Another one is grandformat.com. trade printer. National and part of 4over.com. these guys do not do design.

Some firms have opted for a client end design interface. Let the buyer design the thing. Custom Outdoor Signs Priced Business-Fast! All Sizes. has this. FastSigns I believe also uses this. Perhaps you have a chat window with a designer that ties to the client's open order in your system. They do the changes, don't likes, and tweaks but with your staff guiding them thru chat.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

aaprinters

Guys! Just wanted to give you guys an update and thank you for all the advice you gave earlier this year.

Most of the advice was spot on, and yes its not easy!

The good parts.. I am now breaking even after 3 months of launching. I have only launched in New York and California for now and gradually expanding state by state.

I have been lucky to have trustworthy and hard working staff, so no issues there.

The machine has been kind and is working flawlessly.

The tough parts:

I didnt expect the PPC (AdWords) to be so expensive in the states, so having to run a very tight ship in the office working very hard on every single lead.

Although its going to take a while for the local geographical SEO factors to work, but we are well on our way.

Currently USPS, which is not the best postal service, so will be changing that soon.

The free design work is working well and helping gain new customers, especially the busy small business owners.

The marketing spend is a shocker, so working hard on bringing down the PPC and expanding our campaigns as far and wide as possible. Currently spending $7000+ on AdWords per month!!

Apart from that, everything else is super, great conversion rates, almost 93% of all quotes raised.

Would like to thank the scaremongers, as you were brutally honest and were spot on with your criticism. Now with my neck above the water, lets see where this goes!

Thanks to all once again!