• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Setting up artwork for offset printing! HELLLLLP!

rcook99

I have been asked to do artwork for one of my current customers. The problem is they want the artwork for plastic ice coffee cups. So my question is can someone please advise me on how the artwork would be set up for a tapered cylinder like a foam or plastic cup? Also I am looking at there old cup which has lettering with an outline, but from the lettering to the outline there is a space showing the backround of the cup. I do there other signage and this is not the supposed to be the case. Is this normal for the offset printing business to leave a small space between colors? Any direction would be greatly appreciated.

:thankyou:RC

Mason

The space occurs due to the registration of colors (CMYK) not being precisely what they should be.
As for set up you need to send them separations. C,M,Y,K

p3

Ya, as far as adjusting the artwork you don't need to, keep it the same. its actually a cone shaped pad that gets the print so it makes it skewed then when applied to the product it goes back to normal.

Google Pad Printing for more info...

John Butto

who is printing cups

You should find out who is doing the printing of the cups and ask what kind of file they need. An .eps .pdf or what ever and if using fonts put it them in outline. Some companies use pad printing with #4 pads for multicolor or there are ones that use different procedures for printing plastic cups and that is why it is best to know how to make your files to send.

Custom_Grafx

The space occurs due to the registration of colors (CMYK) not being precisely what they should be.
As for set up you need to send them separations. C,M,Y,K

+1

and the term 'trapping' refers to when you intentionally make edge colours overlap on the plates so that this doesn't happen. In illustrator, i believe you do this by applying a stroke to your text - and set it to overprint in the attributes palette.

How many colours are being printed? with pad printing, the more colours the more it costs - each colour needs to be stamped individually.

Mosh

Send the printer the file as a pdf, then they can adjust it as they need to.
Or they should be able to anyway....

Salmoneye

Different presses, substrates and methods use different distortions. Use a reputable printer and send him a manipulateable file. The gap can be caused by poor registration or poor file. Mosh is right, send a file and a detailed e-mail. If you do send separations, also send a sample of the complete graphic so they see what is should look like. These guys can separate themselves.