• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sharing a CG-130 FX II on the network

choucove

We recently added a new computer into one of our business networks to begin upgrading to Windows 7 and Flexi 10. The computer will host a Mimaki CG-130 FX II plotter, and previously was connected on the XP computer using a serial cable.

With the new computer, however, we have been able to connect using the USB cable and installing the latest drivers from Mimaki. The computer is able to plot to the cutter just fine, but we need to take it one step further and share the printer on the network for others to access and cut from their computers.

In Devices and Printers, however, the cutter shows up as an unknown device, not a printer, and so we are unable to even access the options to share the device. Does someone know of a way to either reinstall the driver to recognize as a printer, or share this plotter with the others on the network?

choucove

Terry,

Thank you for your input, but unfortunately this driver is only good for Windows XP. In Windows 7, this installation crashes before it can complete as it is incompatible. The only driver we have even been able to get installed properly is the newest Version 3.0 universal driver from Mimaki.

tcorn1965

Sorry, I should have read the post better. I have another idea, let me try on one of my Windows 7 computers. If I have luck I will share.

Terry

choucove

We ended up finding a solution for this by getting a USB switcher port hub. It is automatic, so it allows both computers to connect to a single printer.

The whole reason why we couldn't just share the plotter device within Windows is because the way the new Mimaki drivers work apparently is not to install an actual "printer device" but just creates a USB output device. Since Windows 7 sees this as just some weird unknown USB device (it's in the same category list in Devices and Printers as the USB hasp key for Flexi 10) it cannot share the device.