• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Shocker: I'm trying out Corel X7!!!

Suz

Love it so far! Downloaded on a "Home" computer yesterday - the 30 day Trial.

I'm going to let the Grandkids give it a whirl and see if they might need it for some of their Artistic school projects. I have lots of little budding Artists around here. I get them started in the Paint program and they get around pretty good in that. But I think moving them into CorelDraw X7 is going to blow their socks off! :omg:

There are lots of choices for import and export file types.

Fun, fun! :smile:

WildWestDesigns

Love it so far! Downloaded on a "Home" computer yesterday - the 30 day Trial.

I'm going to let the Grandkids give it a whirl and see if they might need it for some of their Artistic school projects. I have lots of little budding Artists around here. I get them started in the Paint program and they get around pretty good in that. But I think moving them into CorelDraw X7 is going to blow their socks off! :omg:

There are lots of choices for import and export file types.

Fun, fun! :smile:

I'm still with X6 due to how it integrates with Wilcom, but Wilcom should be due out for a new version spring of next year, so that's hopefully when I'll play around with X7.

Suz

I'm still with X6 due to how it integrates with Wilcom, but Wilcom should be due out for a new version spring of next year, so that's hopefully when I'll play around with X7.

Hey Evan! Good Morning!

Yeah, it helped to discuss that stuff with you. What a lot of wasted time you end up with when programs don't play nice together! I get that! It's pretty easy to get around in the CorelDraw X7. Doesn't feel too much different than the X3. I have memories of going from Freehand 1 and 2, to Freehand 9 and 10, what a huge difference or jump that was. I know, ancient! Haha. Oh well! The times they are a changi'n!

Anyhow, point is, I mostly feared going with a newer version of CorelDraw, because I thought I might have to invest a lot of time learning it. I don't think that will be the case. I love to learn, but just too busy to deal with speed bumps lately.

Suz

X7 is nice! You'll like it!

Sounds like the voice of experience. You have X7... so how long have you been using it & what have you experienced in the way of major problems, if any? Are you running any other Graphics programs on same computer?

WildWestDesigns

Are you running any other Graphics programs on same computer?

It's not X7, but I don't anticipate an issue with X7 when I get the new Wilcom program. I run X6 with CS5 on one computer and CS6 on another computer (as well as Inkscape on both) and I haven't had any issues with it.

Now, I do not know if running too much of a legacy program (CS2 or CS3) might present a problem or not, but I do run multiple vector programs on one computer without a hiccup.

graphicwarning

Sounds like the voice of experience. You have X7... so how long have you been using it & what have you experienced in the way of major problems, if any? Are you running any other Graphics programs on same computer?

I have been using it since Beta 1... I participated heavily in the Beta program before it was released.

I can't say I have encountered any major issues since it's public release. There are a coupler minor bugs I run into very occasionally... so infrequent that I can't even remember what they are off the top of my head. I'm sure I'll think of them when I run into them again... but if I remember, they are something silly like interface issues. X7 more or less was a facelift, but a welcomed one. There are a few new tools and improvements, but for me the nicest new feature is the control of gradients and transparencies. From the add-ons standpoint, I have much greater flexibility for programming add-ons then available in previous versions, though I haven't had any new add-ons to write lately and actually try it out... which is a bit disappointing for me. I'll find something eventually to jump in and play.

In my workflow, I'm running Corel in Win 7 from a VMWare Fusion virtual machine on my Mac. I have the Corel suite, Versaworks and Quickbooks running in the windows environment... everything else runs in the Mac... so there really is no conflicts software wise. Though I'm not certain that I personally have every encounter software conflicts with Corel and any other software.

I've participated in Corels various advisory and beta groups since version X4, and so far X7 has been my favorite. If you go to your help menu in X7, there is a feature to turn on what has changed since version "x"... I think is goes back to X3? I don't remember... but it will highlight what is new or what has changed. Might want to spend some time with that!

kheebl

I have been running x7 for about a month now and I love it. I think I need to upgrade my computer thought. It gets laggy at times.

sneakers

I can offer a couple of items to check in Corel Draw. After upgrading from X4 to X6 I noticed all of my X4 files when opening in X6 had to change colors (RGB to CMYK). Not a big deal for some things but for my laser it meant redoing all of my cut lines. Also I needed more memory in my computer as Corel ran very slow. When working with large graphics you will get very slow refresh when you move or redo anything. The fix for this is to go to : tools, options, general, and look for "undo levels ". It ill say something like 150. change it to 15 or 20. The way corel works is it has to redraw your image over and over again for as any levels of undo you have set, so the lower your setting the faster the program runs. With all that said, I am using X7 so far with no problems yet and it has some new features that work well.

Craig Sjoquist

I bought the downloaded version of X7 I do like it yes but my interest in designing on a PC is low so not used it enough & the library does not teach it or other services which I can not afford because I get so little work these days.

Suz

Evan - Oh yeah, I like Inkscape too! It's a good substitute when things don't work somewhere else. Or when you are on sombody else's computer and need to download a program that will do the job. It's a pretty solid program, I have found too! Although somewhat limited. Very beginner, but some great features. Glad you have not had too many problems. I think we have just because I'm stubborn! Wanna get my last drop of investment out of whatever I buy. Sometimes you just have to move forward though! :smile:

Graphic"W"...
Thanks for your input. About running Corel in Win 7 VMWare Fusion on the Mac, I so want to try that! We have a Mac with no Graphics on it yet. I bought that computer for me, but the Hub liked it, so it's his now. But perhaps I could sneak it on, hehe! Did that once with Photoshop Limited Edition (on PC) and taught him how to do a few things, then he started using it and had some fun with it. He's creative - a musician. I'm glad Corel X7 is your fav., might end up being mine too. We'll see! I was pretty impressed to see all the extensions and versions you could open or save back to. I will do what you suggested and check out the "Help" menu to see what changes have been made. Thanks!

Kheebl- so you like X7 too, I guess it's a winner. Hey, since you mentioned you may upgrade your computer - My Tech (Hub) just added a Samsung SDD when he installed Win 7 Pro (32bit) on his old PC. He did that to get it ready for my Graphics programs and upgrades. That thing is now a Speed Demon! Unbelievable. Oh, and the computer is like 5-6 years old. Fastest one I have now. Love it! Runs the Corel X7 just fine! He took the old hard-drive and just made it my storage area. The SDD is the main drive.

Sneakers - that color change thing sounded annoyi'n! Glad you found success when you installed X7. That's great!

Craig - You could do a couple of months with Linda.com to get some training. Check out youtube too, I have found some very informative videos there at times, those are free. Anyhow, the Linda.com training is well worth it. When I did it, was about $24.00 a month, I think. But if you can't justify the spending right now I understand. I hope that more work comes your way soon!