• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

shop thoughts

Cynosure

Not sure if im in rhe correct area, but here goes...We are currently outgrowing our 200 sq ft production studio and will be looking to move shortly. What are your thoughts in regards to location? A larger (cheaper) production type studio with a bay door in an off the path light industrial area or a heavier traffic "mini-mall" type setting?
We used to be a larger chain store in the minimall setting but closed when the economy crashed. Our current shop is what rose from the ashes. Right now we sublease out of a light industrial area, so ive seen both sides but still dont know which way to lean here.
Thanks for any input or ideas!

2B

what is your intended customer?

Industrial - B2B, larger orders but have to go get customers since not in high flow traffic.

Mini-Mall - more visibility, more constant customers, however, small jobs, single stickers etc...

IMO go with the industrial location and the bay door, this will allow you to go vehicle graphics / wraps and be in doors

Cynosure

I have a mix of customers. I do some sourcing work and have a decent client list. I guess you just ride out the lack of visibilty and count on word of mouth. I do like the ability to bring a vehicle inside to work on it, the weather is tempermental enough here!

TheSnowman

I came from being in the country where people intentionally came to you for stuff, and now I'm in town where anyone walking by that wants dumb stuff for their car stops in wanting a price. If I could do it again (and I'm sure I will some day) I'm looking for some kind of an industrial setting, or back out in the country. I think I've gained a few customers that are bread and butter customers from being in here, but now that I've hooked them, long as I keep the same service level once I move somewhere else, I don't think I'm going to ever lose them.

Being in town is convenient for other people, so they'll stop in non stop bugging you asking you if their stuff is done, even if you told them it'd be a week yet. It's pretty annoying. Normally I say "I'll call you when it's ready" and they stop in and I have to say "well, I didn't call you" and I get "Oh, I was just driving by, so thought I'd check". It's ridiculous. Cause they can't ever just pop in and you answer that question and them be on their way. It's normally a 10 minute conversation about their dog going to the vet, or how billy lost his first tooth. That's all good and dandy, but that time wastage adds up when you have several of those a day. It's convenient for them, but not for you.

Cynosure

The size is tricky, push everything to the walls and move around the 4' x 8' table. No fun let me tell you...

Being in the light industrial area now I do see a drop off of "random" new customers through the drive by traffic, but I picked up a few larger accounts to offset it. I don't mind talking to people, but you are right, when you're under a schedule your random customer isn't any they stop by to chat....very frustrating at times.

klemgraphics

I came from being in the country where people intentionally came to you for stuff, and now I'm in town where anyone walking by that wants dumb stuff for their car stops in wanting a price. If I could do it again (and I'm sure I will some day) I'm looking for some kind of an industrial setting, or back out in the country. I think I've gained a few customers that are bread and butter customers from being in here, but now that I've hooked them, long as I keep the same service level once I move somewhere else, I don't think I'm going to ever lose them.

Being in town is convenient for other people, so they'll stop in non stop bugging you asking you if their stuff is done, even if you told them it'd be a week yet. It's pretty annoying. Normally I say "I'll call you when it's ready" and they stop in and I have to say "well, I didn't call you" and I get "Oh, I was just driving by, so thought I'd check". It's ridiculous. Cause they can't ever just pop in and you answer that question and them be on their way. It's normally a 10 minute conversation about their dog going to the vet, or how billy lost his first tooth. That's all good and dandy, but that time wastage adds up when you have several of those a day. It's convenient for them, but not for you.

This all the way! I'm out in the country and I love it! Getting out of town allowed me to build a bigger shop and you don't have to deal with nearly as many walk ins which are always a waste. People tell me all the time they can't believe I get the customers that I do being out here in the middle of nowhere. I keep a good backlog of work and draw customers from several towns around me in within about a 50 mile radius. Do good work and the word travels.