• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Should I buy omega 1.56?

CrAkD

I'm using flexi 8.1 it works pretty good but a friend of mine is offering to sell me omega 1.56 with dongle for $150. I have a gerber edge and gerber hs15+ will the gerber software benefit me over flexi?

StarSign

The Omega 1.56 is at least ten years old (Omega is on 5.0 now) I would guess your Flexi is newer then that so I would say no.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
While it's certainly possible that this is a usable version of Omega, be aware that when the upgrade to Omega 2 was released, it involved a procedure where the old LPT dongle was disabled during the upgrade procedure. There are lots of non working 1.5.6 dongles out there.

If it is working, it's a bargain at that price and will do an excellent job of running your Edge or it can serve as a trade in if you ever decide to upgrade to version 5 that will save you more than $150. You will need to have a computer with an LPT printer port to use it though. If you only have one LPT port and it's being used by your Edge, then you are well advised to add a second port for the dongle. Plugging the Edge into the dongle is a great way to blow the dongle out.

J Hill Designs

using 1.56 here (usb dongle btw)

works fine (havent upgraded to win 7 yet so we'll see what becomes of that if (when) it happens)