• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Should I have a server?!!!

heyskull

I am still on with updating my 3 computers and should have something sorted very soon.
But I have been thinking about our software storage.
At the moment we have 2 1TB storage drives on the lan one is for storage and the other is for backup.
Now it's easy just adding another storage drive but as far as I can see this method is slow and is now showing up when saving large files.
I am thinking about purchasing an old server and using the drives out of the storage drives as the storage.
I would like to buy new but when looking at some they are an unbelievable price.
This is new teritorry for me so I need some help

Thanks
SC

tanneji

windows home server. great great stuff and does auto backups etc of up to 10 pcs. can be built from most old pcs you may have laying around.

SignBurst PCs

I am a huge fan of professional NAS devices (instead of servers). Much less administration and most good ones have RAID 1,5, or 10.

There are many different sizes and brands (I like the Bufallo TeraStation line), but as with everything else, you get what you pay for.

SuperBrady

I will second the Windows Home Server. automated backups, central location for all files. I should of done it sooner, well worth the money!

Gene@mpls

I am a huge fan of professional NAS devices (instead of servers). Much less administration and most good ones have RAID 1,5, or 10.

There are many different sizes and brands (I like the Bufallo TeraStation line), but as with everything else, you get what you pay for.

Good topic- I am starting to think about one too- aren't servers faster?
Something about 2 LAN connections? Would it make any difference on 10/100?
Thanks Gene

SignBurst PCs

Good topic- I am starting to think about one too- aren't servers faster?
Something about 2 LAN connections? Would it make any difference on 10/100?
Thanks Gene

Most good (professional) NAS devices have 10/100/1000 Ethernet connection(s). Both servers and NAS devices have the ability to "team" two Ethernet connections for better performance, but I doubt that many shops would see any real benefit.

NAS devices (and servers) perform at all different levels, depending on the hardware installed. Some perform well and others not so well, it just depends on how much you want to spend.

Both are acceptable options, I just prefer the simplicity of NAS over a server unless you have other needs that a NAS doesn't provide for (i.e. user rights and such). NAS can provide security, encryption, and backups if you get one so equipped and you want to take the time to set it up.

ActualGrafix

SignBurst PCs: Most good (professional) NAS devices have 10/100/1000 Ethernet connection(s). Both servers and NAS devices have the ability to "team" two Ethernet connections for better performance, but I doubt that many shops would see any real benefit.

:goodpost:
Yea you aren't going to see a speed diference unless you have a dozen computers accessing information simultaneously. Trip wires are for connections that see some serious bandwith thoughput.

SignBurst PCs

SignBurst PCs: Most good (professional) NAS devices have 10/100/1000 Ethernet connection(s). Both servers and NAS devices have the ability to "team" two Ethernet connections for better performance, but I doubt that many shops would see any real benefit.

:goodpost:
Yea you aren't going to see a speed diference unless you have a dozen computers accessing information simultaneously. Trip wires are for connections that see some serious bandwith thoughput.

Exactomundo

smdgrfx

+1 on windows home server...

and you can setup a really nice web portal/ftp site for your customers. And remote in very easy...

choucove

A couple years ago we made the jump to a file server system for our data, and while the initial cost was the big worry (we spent $2,500 on our system, which was more than enough for all our needs) it has served us incredibly well and offered more opportunities to the business than we ever thought possible. For instance, we now have the ability for our Hays office to FTP securely into the Colby file server to download project files directly as needed for printing instead of relying on an email system that has never worked. We can assign access privileges to certain types of files to keep the accounting and artwork information separate. And we can set up remote desktop for administration and networked data backup systems that work much easier than going around to each and every computer and trying to back them up one at a time.

Just do your research before you dive into this kind of investment. A lot of times the places you think will give you the best deal (such as Dell) will often be way over-priced. I highly suggest talking with other computer experts here on this forum first, or even speak with the people at AVADirect where we ordered our server system from. You really can't beat their prices hardly for custom-built servers with unbeatable quality and one-on-one personal customer service.