• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Shuck beans

Deaton Design

I dont know if this is a regional type thing or not, but have any of you ever had shuck beans? Its a type of green bean that when picked, they then break them down and dry them outside, usually on a sheet in the sun. Takes several days for them to dry, then they cook them just like other beans. They are really, really good. My wife made some yesterday and I ate some more today. Ive been on a health kick for about two months now,and Im eating alot of veggies, other than potatoes, plenty of green beans, corn, tomatoes, carrots, etc. Man that stuff is good. Just wondering about the shuck beans though.:signs101:

Deaton Design

I was just wondering Mike, if thats something that we here in the south enjoy, or if it is in other places too. Hate to ask if they enjoy soup beans, lol.
Greg, you would love shuck beans. Great flavor.

Pat Whatley

My grandmother used to have strings of those things drying on the porch every summer. She'd string them up the way people string up peppers to dry. I don't remember how she cooked them but I do remember they were on the stove all day long.

Deaton Design

Thats them Pat. Ive seen them dried that way also. Yeah, they cook pretty long, and usually they put in a piece of fatback to give them a little flavor.