• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sign Painting

key136

Would like to see if you could give me some advice on painting an HDU sign board. We have a carved sign that was originally made in 2007 and then repainted several years ago by a sign professional, obviously not with the right product. We have it sanded down to bare material and ready to be painted. We are looking into the sign101.com forum and are looking to get information on specific paint products.
The process that I believe I should be doing is that the board should be very clean. We are looking into using the Matthews 6001 primer and understand the extended dry times.I have not found much for topcoat and/or clear coat product.
Any further help would be greatly appreciated for longevity. Kevin Young

John_Smith

Enjoying retirement in Central Florida
Kevin - could you please post some photos ??
From your brief intro, I'm guessing you aren't a sign shop? OR - you are a sign shop that doesn't do painting?
What makes you think the "sign professional" didn't use the correct methods or materials ??
If your sign was "RE-Painted" several years ago, what is failing now that you didn't like?
Like Gino said, if you are asking these questions here, it sort of indicates you don't know much about painting or HDU itself.
Please, if you can, provide more information and photos so that you can have the most accurate information to proceed with .
Many of us here carve and paint HDU on a regular basis. So we are a little concerned with how you want to re-paint your sign.

Last edited:

Johnny Best

I also suggest water base latex primer and topcoat. Matthews primer is a polyester base, it will work but is overkill, expensive and has to be sprayed. If you have the Matthews set up then that 6001 primer will ne fine for what you are doing.
At my age, just do not like getting around paint spray with mask on my face.

key136

From your brief intro, I'm guessing you aren't a sign shop? OR - you are a sign shop that doesn't do painting?
What makes you think the "sign professional" didn't use the correct methods or materials ??
If your sign was "RE-Painted" several years ago, what is failing now that you didn't like?
Like Gino said, if you are asking these questions here, it sort of indicates you don't know much about painting or HDU itself.
Please, if you can, provide more information and photos so that you can have the most accurate information to proceed with .
Many of us here carve and paint HDU on a regular basis. So we are a little concerned with how you want to re-paint your sign.

Hi John,
I appreciate your response. The sign was built in 2008 and we had it professionally painted. 2 years ago the sign was taken down to be refreshed and the sign company that repainted it, used a product that did not react well with the original or the prep work was not done correctly (see photo with a crackling effect) Neither of the companies are in business now and haven’t been able to do the painting, they all want to do vinyl. I have previously painted commercially for many years and have no issue with doing the sign myself. Just looking for what products to use on the HDU board. Any recommendations for the products used in the whole process would be very helpful.

Attachments

• IMG_8427.jpeg
    IMG_8427.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 70
  • IMG_8426.jpeg
    IMG_8426.jpeg
    355.3 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_8425.jpeg
    IMG_8425.jpeg
    272.3 KB · Views: 64

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Yikes, that's a mess. I get that HDU isn't cheap but I would have personally leaned towards throwing that thing in the trash and hiring a real reputable company to build a new one.

Might be a good opportunity to improve that layout (I'm looking at you, area code)

Sanding the paint down has taken enough material off that the letters are just about wrecked, unless they can be re-traced with a chisel and salvaged.

John_Smith

Yikes is putting it mildly.
I second White Haus's remarks. It may be past saving, economically.
But, for the time you have put into it, and you want to get a few more years out of it,
I suggest just plain, high-quality latex or acrylic house paint. Don't over think it with the paint.
Wash well with the garden hose spray to remove ALL dust that may be embedded in the pores. Simple vacuum and air-hose is not enough. Then prime with a latex primer.

Last edited:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Looks like gold leaf on the original. If so, use some good hiding latex primer and give it 2 coats. Then two top coats of the maroon. Then, gild your lettering.

John_Smith

LOL - Gino, he is not a sign painter. I doubt very seriously that "gilding" is in his skill set.
Maybe white or cream colored paint would look jam up (for a few more years).

Johnny Best

Like Visual800 said “keep it all latex” in post 5.
Do not do gold leaf because I think that is above your skill set. What kind of gold, what does it stick to? This could be a 5 year project on a $250 repaint.