• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sign to withstand freeze and snow (SUBSTRATE?)

sign_student

Hi folks,

We've been asked to create a few signs for long-term outdoor use in harsh conditions. This would be exposed to Alaska winters so freeze, heavy winds and snow are a given. Dimmensions are 18" x 48", 24 x 48... in that range

We would like to print these on a flatbed, gs3200

I was thinking Dibond may be a good choice of substrate. I understand it withholds down to -50 Celsius and I would assume that it's aluminum and plastic composition would hold against rust and other factors.

Would anyone be concerned with the adhesion of inks?

Am I paying too much for Dibond without really taking advantage of it's molding capabilities? What about Alumilite? Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Patrick

threeputt

DiBond it's trade name has many imitators. Very similar product selling for about 30% less.

Alu-panel, Polymetal, etc.

By the way, I think that your on the right track with the composite material.

sign_student

Dibond Alternative

Hey,

Thanks a lot! Our main suppliers seem to carry the Dibond brand only but I'm sure somewhere in Vancouver I can find this stuff... Just have to keep looking.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Cheers

Jillbeans

I believe DiBond is made in Canada.
Whatever you do, don't use PVC.
I'd stick with Dibond.
I'd rather pay for something I knew would work than have to replace it when it fails.
Love....Jill

sign_student

Dibond it is I think

Thanks Jill,

I got a quote for Dibond just in case and it's not as bad as I thought so I figure we might as well do it right the first time.

Hope you have a nice day!

SignManiac

The Dibond or equivalent is a good material choice. It takes UV Flatbed printing nicely, however.... The material will outlast the ink, unless you clear coat it. I like to use two part urethane automotive clears. You would be shocked at the difference that makes in terms of durability.

sign_student

Clear Coat

I was wondering about that... I was debating whether or not that was a silly question. I'm sorry I didn't ask and sure am Glad you jumped in!

*I work more on the office side of things here but really want to get into the production and/or install aspect of this business so I jump on these kind of opportunities... That being said (This may be a silly question, lol) - Could we use the same clear-coat stuff we put on our Vinyl Banners that go out? I'm not entirely sure what it is but thought you might have a better idea....

Thanks again

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I believe that's a Vutek. The material is fine and the method too, but some flatbed inks don't mesh to aluminum they way you'd like it to. If you're using OEM inks, I'd make sure the ink is flexible enough to work in extreme cold on aluminum products.

sign_student

I believe that's a Vutek. The material is fine and the method too, but some flatbed inks don't mesh to aluminum they way you'd like it to. If you're using OEM inks, I'd make sure the ink is flexible enough to work in extreme cold on aluminum products.

Thanks Gino -

I put an email into the tec for our ink representative addressing this flexibility concern.

When you say "the method too" - Are you saying that applying the same clear coat liquid we put on the vinyl banners is fine?

:thankyou:

d fleming

How refreshing. Someone who asks for advice and appreciates the advice given by the veterans. That's what this forum is for. I asked some advice myself the other day and got an excellent answer from the board ( thanks Jamie) and I've been doing this a long time. You're never too old (or young) to learn!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Gino -

I put an email into the tec for our ink representative addressing this flexibility concern.

When you say "the method too" - Are you saying that applying the same clear coat liquid we put on the vinyl banners is fine?

:thankyou:

I was answering yes to flatbed printing. Ours will hold onto all aluminum products swimmingly. We just did some today and we laminated right over the entire sign, with rigid lam, not clear coat.

Liquid lam should also work, but like I said previously..... I know some inks just don't take to aluminum worth a jack. I believe in our searching Vutek wasn't high on the list for aluminum products. I'm not sure, it might've been another model. After a while the facts all start to blend together.
Good Luck....................... :thumb:

Malkin

At those sizes the signs should have some support, not installed on a single post. DiBond can bend in the wind.

Some brands of the polymetal are available in 6mm.

We use 10mm Alumalite here in Maine, with no trouble from freezing, very rigid for wind resistance.

sign_student

At those sizes the signs should have some support, not installed on a single post. DiBond can bend in the wind.

Some brands of the polymetal are available in 6mm.

We use 10mm Alumalite here in Maine, with no trouble from freezing, very rigid for wind resistance.

The quote I got was for 3 mil Dibond... That's a good point, I could see that bending...

sign_student

How refreshing. Someone who asks for advice and appreciates the advice given by the veterans. That's what this forum is for. I asked some advice myself the other day and got an excellent answer from the board ( thanks Jamie) and I've been doing this a long time. You're never too old (or young) to learn!

This Forum is incredible and I am very gracious about the help that I've received here... I'd say I've probably read over half the posts on this forum and I know well enough that these folks know their stuff...

:)

Cheers