• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Simple dimensional sign

SignManiac

I just delivered this sign early today, about an hours drive away. They will be doing the install on a natural brick wall and I don't know how soon it will be before I can get back to take a better picture.

The sign is a reverse hog out carved from 3/4" white/blue/white Colorcore and inlaid into 3/4" thick solid PVC with a slight round over on the outer burgundy edge. The over all size is approximately 3'h. x 6'w. and close to 1-1/2" thick.

This sign took about 4 hours to complete from CNC table to final assembly.

Attachments

• Heritage Lake.jpg
    Heritage Lake.jpg
    313.8 KB · Views: 99

iSign

Nice job Maniac!

I was thinking "no paint" when I first read it... but I don't know of burgundy pvc, so that's painted right?

I've never used colorcore yet (Star Board product right?) but I'm curious if the edges of starboard could not have been left white (& raised) & then been painted burgundy? I remember that stuff looked almost unpaintable (sort of waxy?) so maybe that's part of the reason... I can also see how that might have ruled out the round over, plus the blue core would show on the edges (to a degree even if it is paintable)...

anyway, seems like a large chunk of costly 3/4" PVC, so I wanted to see if I was missing some of the benefits that led to your decision.

SignManiac

Doug, the PVC is the only painted part and yes 3/4" is a bit salty. I paid $140 for a 4x8 sheet and will use the rest of the drop cut for other dimensional letters or another sign altogether. I charged a hefty price for this piece so I wasn't concerned about the material cost.

Colorcore will not hold any paint of any kind. One of the good things about it from a graffiti perspective. Nothing sticks to it, not even glues or adhesives. All attachments must be mechanical. I've gotten pretty creative with it over the years to make it nicer than just a two color product. On this sign, I attached the PVC from the back and screwed it into the back of the colorcore so no hardware is visible. I put studs in the back of the sign and supplied the customer with a cardboard template for drilling the holes in the brick wall. I'm sure if I left it up to them, they would have ruined the finish by slamming screws through the face. I hate that as mush a sticking hot pins in my eyeballs!

There are several companies who manufacture HDPE in several colors. King Plastics is where most of mine comes from.