• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sketch class?

showcase 66

My wife is going back to school to finish her degree and today I was at the community college here talking with one of the board members who I have known for a long time. (trying to talk him into a new monument sign in the front) Another guy came up and started talking to my friend and he turned out to be a cartoon artist. Worked for Disney back in the day. Anyway, I started talking to him about somethings and he asked if I sketched out designs before I really start working on something. For myself I will, to show a client. ahhh not so much. I get to technical and for a sketch it doesnt look to good. Anyways, after telling him that, he wanted to know if I wanted to visit his class for beginning drawing and he has a class in the evening that is based on sketching an idea.

If I didnt have to be somewhere at the time I would have taken him on the first offer but after thinking about it, I am thinking of heading over there this evening and see if I can stop in for a bit and take a look at what he does. Classes just started this week so nothing much will be done. Found out if I want to take the class for enrichment and no credit, it is only $45.

I know a lot of you sketch your ideas first and I think it will be a good thing for me to get better at and maybe learn some better techniques along the way.

Any thoughts?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I'd do it in a heartbeat.

I took so many art classes, drawing classes and anything else connected with drawing throughout the years and I would still go back for a refresher course. It's great to get insight from someone new... especially if he's an old timer. As many views as you can get on drawing, you'll always be learning something. Just don't be afraid to ask questions.

Oh.... and MAKE the time to go.

Billct2

I took a few sketching classes, don't know if they helped my sign designs/presentations, but I enjoyed them. Sometimes you have to do something just for the pleasure of doing it.

Jillbeans

Definitely go for it, and do make the time to go, as Gino said.
I signed up for a free finance course at out local college last fall, but my life kept getting in the way.
I really regret having to cancel out!
Love.....Jill

prime signs

Yes definately take him up on his offer. I was lucky enough through high school to have a fantasic art teach and then I spent a short time at the art institute in Baltimore. Even though it's been 25 years I still use the skills I picked up then in my sketching and signs. Good luck and enjoy:smile:

showcase 66

I am on my way past the CC so I am going to sign up for the class. I think it will be fun. Havent had an art/drawing class in at least 14 years. For only $45, I cant pass it up.