• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Skewing problem

First thanks so much for all the help to this point.

My Unit is a Graphtec CS5000-60 24" 3 weeks old, bought brand new

2 questions:
1) How can I set my unit back to factory default?
2) How can I prevent Skewing?

I set the speed way down (5) thinking that would help but well NOT SO MUCH.

I un-rolled then re-rolled the media. But no matter what I do the unit seems to skew. and not just a little.

Hence the factory default question,

One would think that the bar spins at the same speed all the way accross. And machinacilly speaking it should it just seems that is not the case unless something is messed up.

I cannot afford to waste more media. The cut it self is not all that long 53"

I have cut master set to limit media movment but no love.

Thanks in advance

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Are both pressure rollers set to maximum or at least to the same setting? Sounds like one is set to minimum pressure and the other to maximum pressure.

gbarker

Have you tried other media? I've had a similar problem with cheap vinyl. Roll out about 7-8 feet on a table, look to see if there are any obvious defects. Also look at each end of the roll and check if it is wavy or smooth, should be smooth. What is the media your using? Some stuff just can't be cut easy (thick reflective and such).

Bob - Greate question I have NO idea. Can you set that on the CE5000-60 unit? and if so where and how

Tringtolearn -
I have used this media for other cuts and did not have an issue

But yes I have tried other media and the results are the same

Thoughts??

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Bob - Greate question I have NO idea. Can you set that on the CE5000-60 unit? and if so where and how

I don't know about the 5000 but on my FC7000 each roller has a min/max setting on the roller set manually from the back of the plotter. They both should be set to max and if not and especially if they're not set the same you'll get what you describe. I would assume that both models use the same pressure rollers. Maybe not but still worth checking.

Compilla

Sadly, you can't adjust the roller pressure on the CE-5000 and 3000 series.

Any flat spots on your pinch roller wheels?

Have you cleaned the grit rollers?

Make sure the media is square, check it with a T-Square. I know it sounds obvious, but..I overlook it all the time.

Also, I know some media's just..skew..I can feed my 3M Stuff through it ALL DAY LONG with no skewing, however..throw a roll of Avery in there, and it's horrible..buckles, walks, everything imaginable.

Todd M Castle

Sounds like you may have flat spots on the rollers. If you leave your rollers down while not in use this could occur. Same concept of having a car parked in the same spot for awhile and flat spots occur on the tires and the car pulls to one side. This can happen even after a couple of days if left in the down position.

As for re-setting the plotter. Turn off the plotter and turn it on again with the arrow up button held down at the same time.

nopalito24

I had wrote this to help another Signs 101 member, some people do not agree w/ it but is the best way to track straight on a CEseries plotter. You paid for the feature so you might as well use it, ITS A GUARANTEE... unless you do have flat spots which I doubt because its a CE5000(newer model)WHEN YOU GO HOME AT NIGHT LEAVE THE ROLLERS UP, COVER YOUR MACHINE, DO NOT LEAVE ANY VINYL HANGING ON THE MACHINE.
I cut 20ft jobs at once using this feature.

Most tracking issues have to do w/ the way you align the material.When you align a roll is different than a sheet. If your going to do a job bigger than 3ft I recommend you use the FEED feature(this feature confirms proper tracking before you send your job):
make sure your roll is nice and tight, place it on the stock rollers and align it as best you can to the grit roller areas your going to use so that the material does not get fed and an angle entering the rear of the machine, once it enters the rear to align grab the roll or rollers w/ one hand and then grab the leading edge of the material w/ the other, pull on the leading edge until is nice and tight,- bring your rollers down, select Roll1, then unwind the roll to about the amount of material your going to use, load the Pen that came w/ your plotter, press the Pause buttong to get into the menu, NEXT until you see Feed, ENTER to select it, select the amount of material you'll need, press down on the pen w/ you finger to make a dot on you viny, press the ENTER button to begin the process, once the material comes back press down on the pen again and you want it to land on the same dot-if it does then you've aligned the material correctly and your job will track straight, if it does not track straight maybe you have to much down force/blade length or a combination, your speed may be to fast, or your viny may be of not good quality-they usually have slippery backings, etc..
If when it comes back and it does not land in the same dot, then tighty up the material again and realign. You should not have to do this more than twice.

The advantage of the Feed feature is 1- you get to step back and watch if your material is going to track straight, 2- I'm pretty sure you've notice the track marks that are left on the edges of you vinyl when it passes through the rollers, well these are imprinted on the edges of your vinyl during the feed process so that the plotter follows these during the actuall cutting.

signgirl71

We have the CE5000-60. When we first got it from the factory we had the same issues with tracking. We have a friend who fixes these in the biz. He came out and said one of the wheels was at a slight angle (which we couldn't notice). He adjusted it and it tracked great. Just recently it started doing it again. (this is like months to a year later) He is coming out this Monday to check it again but told us these machines (the smaller ones anyhow) are notorious for having to change the wheels. Either way, try adjusting the wheels - they may be at a very slight angle.